Vyhne Eisenbad

  • treimer@nycap.rr.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi Nat,

      Like many mining villages in central Slovakia, it had a German name, too--Eisenbad, near Heiligenkreuz (Ziar nad Hronom), meaning iron baths. It was a small community of German iron miners in the middle ages, with a spa (bad)developed in 1497 by the Schemnitz industrialist Roesll. The baths of Eisenbad (sometimes misspelled Eisenbach, iron creek), were owned by the city of Schemnitz from 1563 to 1917, then under private ownership till 1939, then state owned. The baths burned down in 1945. There were still iron manufactures in the 19th century, such as the Karl Kachelmann works. The village population was pretty mixed by the 19th century, with the spa employing many people, both Slovaks and German, from outside. By 1930, there were few Germans left, only 7 out of 1280 inhabitants, and 18 Magyars (possibly magyarized Germans). I don't have population data for the 19th century but you can find many late 19th century Magyar censuses on google books. Descendants of German inhabitants might be more aware of the old name, and its also useful for finding old descriptions in googlebooks. To avoid getting too many Eisenbad (there are several others in old Hungary, plus plenty in Austria, Switzerland and Germany), use Schemnitz or another qualifier. Good luck!

      Thomas

    • nat_475
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
        Hi Thomas