Re: Help needed

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
      You aren't quite over the hump yet.

      The church birth records which are available on film only go to 1900. You need to go back one more generation before the church records become relevant. After 1895, the birth records are civil rather than church and are not available at the Slovak Archive.

      Assumption: Joseph's father was also Joseph/Jozef and was born (just)before 1900.

      It's a start.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
        Priezvisko RAPPENSBERGER sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 11×, celkový pocet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
        STIAVNICKA (obec PODBREZOVÁ), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) - 3×;
        HARICHOVCE, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES - 3×;
        SOKOLANY, okr. KOSICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOSICE - OKOLIE) - 3×;
        TRNAVA, okr. TRNAVA - 1×;
        ZÁPAD (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 1×;

        In the 1995 Slovak Census there were only 11 listings for Rappensberger in 5 locations. They are scattered across Slovakia.

        Priezvisko RUMANOVÁ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 605×, celkový pocet lokalít: 150, najcastejsie výskyty v lokalitách:
        MARTIN, okr. MARTIN - 23×;
        PETRZALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA - 23×;
        VALCA, okr. MARTIN - 22×;
        SLÁDKOVICOVO, okr. GALANTA - 17×;
        SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES - 17×;
        STIAVNIK, okr. ZILINA (od r. 1996 BYTCA) - 15×;
        VELKÁ BYTCA (obec BYTCA), okr. ZILINA (od r. 1996 BYTCA) - 15×;
        KOSTOLNÁ PRI DUNAJI, okr. GALANTA (od r. 1996 SENEC) - 14×;
        TEPLICKA, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES - 14×;
        TRNAVA, okr. TRNAVA - 14×;

        Rumanova (female form of Ruman) has 605 listings in 150 locations.

        Rumanova is also the name of a town in the District of Nitra.

        Priezvisko RUMAN sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 581×, celkový pocet lokalít: 139 (581 listing for Ruman in 139 places).

        There were no listings or alternatives given for Adalbert.

        Online Telephone Directory

        Meno Adresa Typ Operátor
        Rappensbergerová Alzbeta Nesporova 20, Kosice súkromné Slovak Telekom, a.s.
        Rappensbergerová Mária Levocská 32, Harichovce súkromné Slovak Telekom, a.s.

        Rappensberger Ladislav Sokolany 156 Sokolany , Hutníky súkromné Orange Slovensko, a.s.

        Rumanova had 199 listings.
        Ruman had 232 listings.

        In my opinion Vinne near Michalovce has no connection to Vyhne. When you see what spellings each has had over their history it is apparent they are not similar.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
          >>> In my opinion Vinne near Michalovce has no connection to Vyhne. When you see what spellings each has had over their history it is apparent they are not similar. <<<

          Agreed.
        • nat_475
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
            Thank you very much Michael. This gives me something to work on.

            Thanks again

            Nat475

          • treimer@nycap.rr.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
              Hi Nat,

              Like many mining villages in central Slovakia, it had a German name, too--Eisenbad, near Heiligenkreuz (Ziar nad Hronom), meaning iron baths. It was a small community of German iron miners in the middle ages, with a spa (bad)developed in 1497 by the Schemnitz industrialist Roesll. The baths of Eisenbad (sometimes misspelled Eisenbach, iron creek), were owned by the city of Schemnitz from 1563 to 1917, then under private ownership till 1939, then state owned. The baths burned down in 1945. There were still iron manufactures in the 19th century, such as the Karl Kachelmann works. The village population was pretty mixed by the 19th century, with the spa employing many people, both Slovaks and German, from outside. By 1930, there were few Germans left, only 7 out of 1280 inhabitants, and 18 Magyars (possibly magyarized Germans). I don't have population data for the 19th century but you can find many late 19th century Magyar censuses on google books. Descendants of German inhabitants might be more aware of the old name, and its also useful for finding old descriptions in googlebooks. To avoid getting too many Eisenbad (there are several others in old Hungary, plus plenty in Austria, Switzerland and Germany), use Schemnitz or another qualifier. Good luck!

              Thomas

            • nat_475
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                Hi Thomas