Re: Michael Kupecz /Kurimka

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
      No Martha,

      I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
      Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at this
      time. Thank you so much for the offer.

      Dennis

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Dennis,
      >
      > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here? If
      so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
      photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.

      > Let me know.
      >
      > Martha Andras
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
      > >

      > > As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on
      Michael
      > > Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.
      > >
      > > I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
      > > records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.
      > >
      > > I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last
      person
      > > listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and
      there
      > > is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.
      > >
      > > Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It
      fits
      > > right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
      > > Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
      > > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>
      > >
      > > I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.
      > >
      > > Thanks,Dennis

    • martha.andras
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hi Dennis,

        You are welcome. If you ever find the information let me know & I'll be happy to take pictures. Our local library has many years of newspaper obituaries on microfilm. However, some years are missing due to a fire at the newspaper office before the records were given to the library. I'm fairly certain 1893 is one of the missing years because I need an obituary for that year. I'll double check & if I am wrong I will let you know.

        Martha

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

        > No Martha,
        >
        > I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
        > Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at this
        > time. Thank you so much for the offer.
        >
        > Dennis
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Dennis,
        > >
        > > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here? If
        > so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
        > photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.
        > >
        > > Let me know.
        > >
        > > Martha Andras
        > >
        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
        > > >

        > > > As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on
        > Michael
        > > > Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.
        > > >
        > > > I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
        > > > records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.
        > > >
        > > > I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last
        > person
        > > > listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and
        > there
        > > > is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.
        > > >
        > > > Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It
        > fits
        > > > right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
        > > > Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
        > > > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>
        > > >
        > > > I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,Dennis

      • haluska
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
          Martha,

          Since your offer I have looked at the cemetery sites on-line and there
          was nothing.....( I knew that)

          Trouble is Michael Kupecz was not in this country very long and from
          what I do know he was pretty much alone at that point.

          At the Family search site http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
          <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp> I found his entire family
          which you will see below.

          There was no source given (Contributed by a Mormon)but Michael Jr. did
          come over and was headed to an aquaintence in Beaver Creek. He visited
          Cleveland once about 1930-39 or so. Where Mike Jr. died is probably Pa.
          also.....

          How Mike Sr. died in Kurimka and buried in Hazleton is a question (see
          below)

          I know he died in Hazleton...

          Husband
          Mihaly Kupecz Pedigree
          Birth: 1851 , , Hungary
          Christening: 09 NOV 1851 Grecko Katolicka,Kurimka,Scharolsch, ,
          Kis-Kukullo Megye, Hungary
          Marriage: 19 FEB 1875 Grecko Katolicka,Kurimka, Scharosch, Kis-Kukullo
          Megye, Hungary
          Death: 20 JUL 1893 Kurimka, Scharosch, Kis-Kukullo Megye, Hungary
          Burial: Hazleton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania

          Thanks, Dennis

          wrote:

          > Hi Dennis,
          >
          > You are welcome. If you ever find the information let me know & I'll
          be happy to take pictures. Our local library has many years of newspaper
          obituaries on microfilm. However, some years are missing due to a fire
          at the newspaper office before the records were given to the library.
          I'm fairly certain 1893 is one of the missing years because I need an
          obituary for that year. I'll double check & if I am wrong I will let you
          know.

          > Martha
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
          > >

          > > No Martha,
          > >
          > > I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
          > > Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at
          this
          > > time. Thank you so much for the offer.
          > >
          > > Dennis
          > >

          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello Dennis,
          > > >
          > > > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here?
          If
          > > so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
          > > photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.
          > > >
          > > > Let me know.
          > > >
          > > > Martha Andras

          > > Michael

          Church
          Hazleton,Pa.

          > > person
          > > there

          It
          > > fits

        • christine mackara
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
            Dennis,

            I might be going out on a limb here, but it seems to me, not so long ago, there was a discussion on this topic . Sometimes, if the priest was made aware of a death in the USA, they would record it in the church books. Maybe your Michael Kupecz died in Hazeltown and was buried there, but what you found in the Church Books was the notice of his death ?

            Maybe someone can correct me.

            Christine

            wrote:

            > Hi Dennis,
            >
            > You are welcome. If you ever find the information let me know & I'll
            be happy to take pictures. Our local library has many years of newspaper
            obituaries on microfilm. However, some years are missing due to a fire
            at the newspaper office before the records were given to the library.
            I'm fairly certain 1893 is one of the missing years because I need an
            obituary for that year. I'll double check & if I am wrong I will let you
            know.

            > Martha
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
            > >

            > > No Martha,
            > >
            > > I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
            > > Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at
            this
            > > time. Thank you so much for the offer.
            > >
            > > Dennis
            > >

            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello Dennis,
            > > >
            > > > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here?
            If
            > > so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
            > > photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.
            > > >
            > > > Let me know.
            > > >
            > > > Martha Andras

            > > Michael

            Church
            Hazleton,Pa.

            > > person
            > > there

            It
            > > fits

          • Gordon Grening
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
              Dennis,

              Try contacting St. Joseph [Slovak] Roman Catholic Church in Hazleton. He just might be buried in their cemetery. I found my great grandparents in their Book of Interments 1890-1934 and their graves in the church's cemetery. Write to the church's secretary at:

              604 N. Laurel St.
              Hazleton, PA 18201-4598

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                Thanks alot Gordon,

                Will do.......I will keep you guys posted.

                Dennis

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Grening"