William Fedor from Spisska Bela to Philadelphia

  • torontolou
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010
      At this link: http://www.carpathiangerman.com/usahist.htm

      ... on the Carpathian German site, in the History of Carpathian Germans in the United States, Section 3: After the Vertreibung, the names of listeners, who also donated during the collection on August 4, 1957 at the Tabor Church in Philadelphia, includes William Fedor.

      I believe he was very likely my maternal Grandfather Albert Fedor's brother. I was born in Montreal, Canada in 1954 and remember visits by my 'Uncle Villie' and his wife Aunt Millie from Philadelphia when I was a youngster. They were very kind and gentle to me.

      My Grandpa Albert Fedor married my Grandma Katy Kosick (sp?)in the early 1900's in Spisska Bela where their three children, including my Mother, were born. They emigrated to Canada in the early 1930's. I think Uncle Villie emigrated to the USA some years before.

      Grandpa Albert was a shoemaker and Uncle Villie was a tailor. Grandpa was a WONDERFUL storyteller and his accounts of the early years in Canada are the stuff of legend even now among his Great-grandchildren. He and Grandma made for a very happy family and home for their children (All still alive today!) and grandchildren, and are sorely missed. God rest their souls.

      I am still waiting to hear back from my sister about my Great-Grandparents' names, but believe Albert and William's mother was Amelia Roth. I will post that info on this board.

      I have more info about distant family members in other locales, but will share them in seperate posts on this board. I have Parkinson's Disease and that limits how much I can type/enter at any one time.

      Thank you for this board. It gives me great joy to share Grandpa and Grandma names and stories, and to keep memories of them ever alive. I hope that I may be able to fill some family history gaps for others here.

      Louise Jobba
      Stanstead, Quebec, Canada