Michael Kupecz /Kurimka

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2010
      As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on Michael
      Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.

      I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
      records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.

      I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last person
      listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and there
      is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.

      Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It fits
      right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
      Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
      <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>

      I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.

      Thanks,Dennis

    • Peter Nagy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2010
        Dennis,

        My deciphering is:
        Kupecz Mihaly died in Harleton by "eroszakos halal" = violent death. The
        note is: "A belugyminiszterium f. e. 93.624 sz. atviabu??? alapjan
        iratott be ilegible signature" - recorded based on note of Ministry of
        Interior No 93.624

        Peter

        haluska wrote:

        > As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on Michael
        > Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.
        >
        > I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
        > records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.
        >
        > I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last person
        > listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and there
        > is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.
        >
        > Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It fits
        > right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
        > Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
        > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>
        > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
        > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>>
        >
        > I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.
        >
        > Thanks,Dennis

      • haluska
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2010
          Yikes!

          Never heard that before..... Thanks Peter.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nagy <rndrnagy@...> wrote:

          > Dennis,
          >
          > My deciphering is:
          > Kupecz Mihaly died in Harleton by "eroszakos halal" = violent death.
          The
          > note is: "A belugyminiszterium f. e. 93.624 sz. atviabu??? alapjan
          > iratott be ilegible signature" - recorded based on note of Ministry of
          > Interior No 93.624
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > haluska wrote:
          > >

          > > As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on
          Michael
          > > Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.
          > >
          > > I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
          > > records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.
          > >
          > > I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last
          person
          > > listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and
          there
          > > is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.
          > >
          > > Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It
          fits
          > > right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
          > > Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
          > > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>
          > > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
          > > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>>
          > >
          > > I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.
          > >
          > > Thanks,Dennis

        • martha.andras
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2010
            Hello Dennis,

            I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here? If so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.

            Let me know.

            Martha Andras

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

            > As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on Michael
            > Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.
            >
            > I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
            > records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.
            >
            > I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last person
            > listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and there
            > is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.
            >
            > Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It fits
            > right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
            > Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
            > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>
            >
            > I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.
            >
            > Thanks,Dennis

          • haluska
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
              No Martha,

              I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
              Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at this
              time. Thank you so much for the offer.

              Dennis

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello Dennis,
              >
              > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here? If
              so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
              photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.

              > Let me know.
              >
              > Martha Andras
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
              > >

              > > As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on
              Michael
              > > Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.
              > >
              > > I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
              > > records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.
              > >
              > > I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last
              person
              > > listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and
              there
              > > is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.
              > >
              > > Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It
              fits
              > > right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
              > > Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
              > > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>
              > >
              > > I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.
              > >
              > > Thanks,Dennis

            • martha.andras
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
                Hi Dennis,

                You are welcome. If you ever find the information let me know & I'll be happy to take pictures. Our local library has many years of newspaper obituaries on microfilm. However, some years are missing due to a fire at the newspaper office before the records were given to the library. I'm fairly certain 1893 is one of the missing years because I need an obituary for that year. I'll double check & if I am wrong I will let you know.

                Martha

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                > No Martha,
                >
                > I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
                > Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at this
                > time. Thank you so much for the offer.
                >
                > Dennis
                >

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Dennis,
                > >
                > > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here? If
                > so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
                > photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.
                > >
                > > Let me know.
                > >
                > > Martha Andras
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
                > > >

                > > > As usual my research contains a mystery. I have been working on
                > Michael
                > > > Kupecz from Kurimka born 1851.
                > > >
                > > > I believe I have found his death entry in the Greek Catholic Church
                > > > records from his village although it appears he died in Hazleton,Pa.
                > > >
                > > > I have posted the record for Michael in our files. He is the last
                > person
                > > > listed for 1893. The reason for his death is hard to make out and
                > there
                > > > is a notation in the obsevations column that is unclear.
                > > >
                > > > Is anyone willing to take a look at this file and help me out? It
                > fits
                > > > right in with my research and there is also a listing for him at the
                > > > Family Search sight. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
                > > > <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp>
                > > >
                > > > I am hoping some one agrees with what I have found.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,Dennis

              • haluska
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
                  Martha,

                  Since your offer I have looked at the cemetery sites on-line and there
                  was nothing.....( I knew that)

                  Trouble is Michael Kupecz was not in this country very long and from
                  what I do know he was pretty much alone at that point.

                  At the Family search site http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
                  <http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp> I found his entire family
                  which you will see below.

                  There was no source given (Contributed by a Mormon)but Michael Jr. did
                  come over and was headed to an aquaintence in Beaver Creek. He visited
                  Cleveland once about 1930-39 or so. Where Mike Jr. died is probably Pa.
                  also.....

                  How Mike Sr. died in Kurimka and buried in Hazleton is a question (see
                  below)

                  I know he died in Hazleton...

                  Husband
                  Mihaly Kupecz Pedigree
                  Birth: 1851 , , Hungary
                  Christening: 09 NOV 1851 Grecko Katolicka,Kurimka,Scharolsch, ,
                  Kis-Kukullo Megye, Hungary
                  Marriage: 19 FEB 1875 Grecko Katolicka,Kurimka, Scharosch, Kis-Kukullo
                  Megye, Hungary
                  Death: 20 JUL 1893 Kurimka, Scharosch, Kis-Kukullo Megye, Hungary
                  Burial: Hazleton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania

                  Thanks, Dennis

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Dennis,
                  >
                  > You are welcome. If you ever find the information let me know & I'll
                  be happy to take pictures. Our local library has many years of newspaper
                  obituaries on microfilm. However, some years are missing due to a fire
                  at the newspaper office before the records were given to the library.
                  I'm fairly certain 1893 is one of the missing years because I need an
                  obituary for that year. I'll double check & if I am wrong I will let you
                  know.

                  > Martha
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
                  > >

                  > > No Martha,
                  > >
                  > > I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
                  > > Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at
                  this
                  > > time. Thank you so much for the offer.
                  > >
                  > > Dennis
                  > >

                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hello Dennis,
                  > > >
                  > > > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here?
                  If
                  > > so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
                  > > photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.
                  > > >
                  > > > Let me know.
                  > > >
                  > > > Martha Andras

                  > > Michael

                  Church
                  Hazleton,Pa.

                  > > person
                  > > there

                  It
                  > > fits

                • christine mackara
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
                    Dennis,

                    I might be going out on a limb here, but it seems to me, not so long ago, there was a discussion on this topic . Sometimes, if the priest was made aware of a death in the USA, they would record it in the church books. Maybe your Michael Kupecz died in Hazeltown and was buried there, but what you found in the Church Books was the notice of his death ?

                    Maybe someone can correct me.

                    Christine

                    wrote:

                    > Hi Dennis,
                    >
                    > You are welcome. If you ever find the information let me know & I'll
                    be happy to take pictures. Our local library has many years of newspaper
                    obituaries on microfilm. However, some years are missing due to a fire
                    at the newspaper office before the records were given to the library.
                    I'm fairly certain 1893 is one of the missing years because I need an
                    obituary for that year. I'll double check & if I am wrong I will let you
                    know.

                    > Martha
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
                    > >

                    > > No Martha,
                    > >
                    > > I do not know if he is burried there. The year was 1893 when Mike
                    > > Sr.died and I have next to no information of his son Mike Jr. at
                    this
                    > > time. Thank you so much for the offer.
                    > >
                    > > Dennis
                    > >

                    > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hello Dennis,
                    > > >
                    > > > I live in Hazleton, PA. Do you know if Michael Kupecz buried here?
                    If
                    > > so, do you know where? When the weather breaks I would be willing to
                    > > photograph his tombstone if I know where to look.
                    > > >
                    > > > Let me know.
                    > > >
                    > > > Martha Andras

                    > > Michael

                    Church
                    Hazleton,Pa.

                    > > person
                    > > there

                    It
                    > > fits

                  • Gordon Grening
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                      Dennis,

                      Try contacting St. Joseph [Slovak] Roman Catholic Church in Hazleton. He just might be buried in their cemetery. I found my great grandparents in their Book of Interments 1890-1934 and their graves in the church's cemetery. Write to the church's secretary at:

                      604 N. Laurel St.
                      Hazleton, PA 18201-4598

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                        Thanks alot Gordon,

                        Will do.......I will keep you guys posted.

                        Dennis

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Grening"