Fw: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian Census

  • Margaret Hicks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2010
      I did some research typing in the 1869 Hungarian Census and this came up www.tccweb.org. It is only a parcial list, 34 pages. The supplement also came from the same site. I have 106 pages so I need to search more and find out where I got all of those. In properties for what I have I originally downloaded it in 2002.

      Margaret Hicks
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
        Has anyone tried to find the cencus with the web like I gave below??

        Margaret
        I did some research typing in the 1869 Hungarian Census and this came up www.tccweb.org. It is only a parcial list, 34 pages. The supplement also came from the same site. I have 106 pages so I need to search more and find out where I got all of those. In properties for what I have I originally downloaded it in 2002.

        Margaret Hicks
        What I have is the Supplemental 1869 hungarian Census for Csircs, Saros Megye, Hungaria, translated & compiled by Mary Maddock ( I may be missing part but I have a lot of pages) I also have the List of familes in the 1969 Hungarian Census and Part of Supplemented 1869 Census

        In fact I am working out of it tonight adding people to my ancestry.com tree. My families are Plavcsan (Plavtsan) Havrilla, Kovalyak, Hrabtsak, Varhola and others.

        Margaret
        >>> I have most of it saved on my computer and have had it for years, I just did a internet search and found it. <<<

        I don't think so. What you found was all or part of the 1869 Hungarian Census INDEX, which is at: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=836327&subject_disp=Hungary+%2D+Census+%2D+1869&columns=*,0,0

      • martha.andras
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
          Hi Margaret,

          I was able to get on the website but can't see how to access the census. Any help is appreciated.

          Thanks!

          Martha

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
            Yes, I looked into it today. What you are referencing is a transcription
            done by one private researcher of one village. In fact, it's not a census
            transcription per-se, but a synthesis of church records and 1869 census
            records.
            http://www.tccweb.org/circ.htm
            http://www.tccweb.org/Web%20Site/Circ1869MMaddock.pdf
            http://www.tccweb.org/Web%20Site/Circ1869SummaryMMaddock.pdf

            Many researchers have begun efforts to transcribe portions of the 1869 and
            post them online, with limited success. Most people run out of steam before
            they finish their own village.

            A noble and worthy effort indeed, but the facts lie clear, this is not the
            entire (or even a significant portion) census online. There are over 2,500
            villages in Slovakia alone. The Mormons have microfilmed a portion of these
            census for Slovakia. Dr. Maddock references these films in her document as
            her primary sources.

            While Dr. Maddock's work appears complete, most non-professional
            transcriptions pose great risk to the researchers. It is often the case
            that these transcriptions are incomplete, and without a second pass
            verification, errors are often introduced. Transcribers often have a
            limited agenda and as such, original data are often omitted. The Ellis
            Island records are a perfect example of transcriptions that have gone awry
            due to poor penmanship, unfamiliarity with language and general mistakes.

            The real collection of the 1869 Census has been filmed in part by the Family
            History Library. Researchers still need to view films of these original
            themselves.
            I have written a complete description along with sample pages are found on
            my web page:
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census

            Margaret was lucky because her village was found online. My congratulations
            to her. I wish it was that easy for the rest of us. I'm sure if you Google
            the web enough you will find transcriptions of other villages, in sum or in
            part. TCCWEB assembles information volunteered by thoughtful contributors,
            but remains entirely dependent upon the author for accuracy. They do not
            systematically collect 1869 census data.

            Other than these private transcriptions (which are not well organized or
            discovered), the only web-accessible census data are limited to the indices
            found in the FHL catalog.

            Regards,

            Bill

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
              Yes, it is only for Circ but for me it is very usefull since a lot of my Varhola/Plavcan family came from there. Hopefully other people can use it

              Margaret

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
                I imagine if you did a poll of the 1,000 researchers on this forum, you will
                find that most are the only one researching their village. In a few cases
                I see 2 or 3 people researching all or part of the same village, but it
                seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In my 11 years doing
                genealogy correspondence on the web, it's only about every 3-5 years that
                someone comes along looking for the same village. And the bigger problem
                is that the original researcher has disappeared without a trace.

                I wholeheartedly encourage researchers to proactively seek out others who
                are researching the same village and exchange information with them. Each
                little village has so little info, that every little piece you add helps
                significantly. So, I would suggest you do the same to the researcher who
                compiled the Circ list.

                Bill
              • Anabeth Dollins
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
                  Bill --

                  Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
                  before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
                  researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
                  own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
                  morphed into a Yahoo group.

                  When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
                  transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
                  minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
                  Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
                  researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
                  family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
                  their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.

                  I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One way
                  is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to create
                  a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)

                  Anabeth Dollins

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
                    Great thoughts Anabeth.

                    The power of posting your surnames and village info on a permanent web
                    page is HUGE. I call it "going fishing". Sooner or later the fish will
                    begin to nibble. May take several years, but you'll eventually get a
                    "bite." I have never seen it fail in our region of the world.

                    Think about it. Someone gets inspired to do family research, for any
                    number of reasons. What do they do today? They dig up the little info
                    they have and then Google it. I always like to Google my surname and my
                    village name, even today, to see what pops up.

                    For eastern Slovakia, I collected a bunch of village info and posted them
                    on my web, because many of these villages have no web way to connect
                    people. I figured if I knew someone who knew about these villages, I
                    could pass the name along when someone google fishing hit the page and
                    contacted me. Each page includes the researcher name, the village
                    surnames and any info on the village I can find. Often people come along
                    and give me more info to add - these pages just grow(or not) as I receive
                    info..

                    If you're uncomfortable creating a page, I'm happy to make a little web
                    page of your village if you'd like along with contact info, pictures or
                    what have you. I don't charge anyone, because this is my hobby, my labor
                    of love. I pay for it all myself, because I don't want it cluttered with
                    advertisement. Give me the content, I'll post it. I've made sure that
                    my web site is high on the search engine priorities, so I get a lot of
                    hits when people research our area. Our area has so little web exposure
                    that makes it part of my mission. Like little hillbilly hamlets here in
                    the States, they don't get much attention in Slovakia either. Write me
                    privately if interested.

                    Bill

                    On Thu, February 4, 2010 10:51 am, Anabeth Dollins wrote:
                    > Bill --
                    >
                    > Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
                    > before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
                    > researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
                    > own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
                    > morphed into a Yahoo group.
                    >
                    > When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
                    > transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
                    > minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
                    > Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
                    > researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
                    > family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
                    > their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.
                    >
                    > I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One
                    > way
                    > is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to
                    > create
                    > a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)
                    >
                    > Anabeth Dollins
                    >
                    > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Bill Tarkulich
                    > <bill.tarkulich@...>wrote:
                    >

                    >> I imagine if you did a poll of the 1,000 researchers on this forum, you
                    >> will
                    >> find that most are the only one researching their village. In a few
                    >> cases
                    >> I see 2 or 3 people researching all or part of the same village, but it
                    >> seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In my 11 years doing
                    >> genealogy correspondence on the web, it's only about every 3-5 years
                    >> that
                    >> someone comes along looking for the same village. And the bigger problem
                    >> is that the original researcher has disappeared without a trace.
                    >>
                    >> I wholeheartedly encourage researchers to proactively seek out others
                    >> who
                    >> are researching the same village and exchange information with them.
                    >> Each
                    >> little village has so little info, that every little piece you add helps
                    >> significantly. So, I would suggest you do the same to the researcher who
                    >> compiled the Circ list.
                    >>
                    >> Bill

                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi.com