Re: Spisska ?

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, JPasqua342@a... wrote:
      > Hi Group:
      >
      > In doing my research I was told that one of my great-aunts, by
      marriage was
      > from "Spisska". Can any one please help me out, as to where this
      is. All
      > my family was from Mirkovce, Saris County.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Joann

      Szepes (Megye) was name of an old Hungarian county, meaning
      'beautiful' in Hungarian.

      After the WWI peace treaty (1920) the Slovaks chnaged name to
      Spis^ z^upa (county) before the Z^upy system was discontinued
      in 1923.

      Because of Slovak grammatical gender form , Spis^ská, Spis^ské,
      or
      Spis^sky' might have been used as prefix to names of some
      fifteen villages.

      Mirkovce is located 13 miles NNE of Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) in former
      Sáros Meyge (H), later called S^aris^ z^upa (Sv) as above.

      There are R.C. parish church records (1787-1895) and G.C. parish
      church records (1773-1895) for Mirkovce, Slovakia.