Atlas History of Central Europe

  • Diana Boggs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2010
      I need a great history book (maps) that focuses on greater Hungary (with great specifics for WWII Slovakian communities). I think that "Atlas History of Central Europe" will do up the trick generally, but might need another book for WWII augmentation of Slovakia/Czechoslovakia. I will need very specific Slovakian & Hungarian communities.

      I found two copies of the same book but they have different ISBN numbers and one says it is revised. Both books are approximately the same. For my purposes does one version suit my purposes better than another?

      I study genealogy of a different sort. Dog pedigrees AND the people who owned them. dlb

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2010
        That book is interesting, but it's pretty macro in my experience and does
        not provide enough specific detail. Most good historical material was
        written in Europe in the native language. Not that many of them are still
        in print. I really don't think you'll find one, consolidated book of maps.
        You'll need to pull together maps from disparate sources.

        I have cobbled together a set of references, some which are on the web, some
        that are hard copy, likely out of print, that you may find in a large US
        research library.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/maps.htm

        Some of the best Hungary resources have come out of the Cartography
        department, Eotovos University in Budapest. They publish some really
        interesting maps, some of which are available online.
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/index-e.html
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/gb/gbindex.html

        Talma Publishers (Talma Kiado) in Budapest also had some good in-print
        material.
        Their web site no longer appears operational however, they may have been
        hacked. You may have to resort to old fashioned methods to contact them.
        Talma Kiadó, 7611 Pécs, Pf. 16
        Telefon / Fax: 72/511-580
        E-mail: talma@...

        Bill