Demchak (Demcak), Katula (Katulak), Karkos

  • Amber Snell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2000
      I haven't been able to trace my family back very far on this side and am
      looking for any halp I can get. The surnames are Demchak (Demcak), Katula
      (Katulak), Karkos, and Durova. They came to the US in the late 1800's, I
      don't know where through but settled in Maine. The town one town of origin
      I have is Pavchovany in Zemplin. I have no idea if this is spelled right.
      Any info would be great.
      Thanks a lot -Amber Demchak Snell

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Amber Snell" <ambersnell@h...>
        wrote:

        > I haven't been able to trace my family back very far on this side
        and am
        > looking for any halp I can get. The surnames are Demchak (Demcak),
        Katula
        > (Katulak), Karkos, and Durova. They came to the US in the late
        1800's, I
        > don't know where through but settled in Maine. The town one town
        of
        origin
        > I have is Pavchovany in Zemplin. I have no idea if this is spelled
        right.
        > Any info would be great.
        > Thanks a lot -Amber Demchak Snell

        Expect a script letter 'r' was read as a 'v'.
        Parchovany/Parchoviany (Sv) Parnó (H) is located 215 miles
        ENE of Bratislava and just west of Michalovce in eastern Slovakia.

        What were surname's religion ?
        R.C. or G.C. ?
        Available are G.C. parish church records (1805-1896) and
        R.C. parish church records (1779-1895) for Parchovany.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        Slovakia telephone directory list 2 surname Demc^ak (Demchak)
        under Parchovany, Slovakia.
      • Amber Snell
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2000
          Thanks for the help. I don't know the religion right now but I think that
          may be something I can find out from my dad of from his records. Thanks
          again. -Amber

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • italianhorse@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2001
            I don't know, if it will be usefull for you, but my grand parents are
            called Demcak, and they live very close to mentioned village
            Parchovany. I can ask my grandma, if she knows something..or I can
            give you a contact to my uncle called Demcak too in Washington, I
            think.