Re: [S-R] Local historians

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2010
      Tom,
      During the course of my six trips to my ancestral villages I have talked as much as possible with OLD TIMERS. They fall into two basic groups. Those who memory of the past is relatively short. They may have some stories they recall from their grandparents. And the very rare ones that know something of their great-grandparents. This are not get detailed stories, more antidotal happens. The second group are those where they enjoy spinning a good yarn and if you asked about the same thing tomorrow you could get a whole new story. When someone starts off saying they new my grandfather who immigrated in 1893 it requires more than a "grain of salt".
      So to hope to find someone that knew about a farm at the turn of the century in 1900 is going to be very doubtful. The biggest obstacle is the 100 years passing since. People in their 90's wouldn't have been old enough until the 1910's and beyond to have a memory of things.
      The only hope is what ever it was that "something happened" had enough significance to possible be written down. In my ancestral village they had the "Chronicles", a book in which important things that happened in the village was recorded. This is the closest thing to a "historian" I have come across. Not knowing the kind of event you are try to "FLESH IT OUT" makes it difficult to judge the potential of it being something worth recording.
      Michael