Slovakian Church Record

  • Canaryville Kukuk
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2010
      Under occupation for a relative I am researching was the LATIN TERM:

      SPACICAMINAR SODALIS

      Latin translations that I have found refer to these derivations as: STREWN, WALKING, GROUPS

      Not sure if this means: FARMER or FOOT SOLDIER

      have been googling this for some time and am hoping to find a resource to learn what this latin translation is.

      Thank you
    • Charlotte Conjelko
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
        I don't know what your Latin phrases means but I know it's not farmer.  The Latin word for farmer is agricola, one of the few words that I remember from those long ago Latin classes in high school.
        Charlotte Pribish Conjelko

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
          Thank you Charlotte. I am hoping I run into somebody who knows it. Latin
          should be Latin, but these old Hungarian and Slovak priests made Latin
          conversions to Slovak names... tough for this American to get his arms around.

          Regards, Tom Kukuk

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2010
            A sodalis is a journeyman (one step below a master in a craft). Caminus
            means a forge, furnace, fireplace, even a chimney. Could the Spaci part
            be read as something else?

            Joe

            > From: Canaryville Kukuk <takukuk@...<mailto:takukuk%40aol.com>>
            > Subject: [S-R] Slovakian Church Record
            > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Sunday, January 17, 2010, 6:43 PM
            >

            > Under occupation for a relative I am researching was the LATIN TERM:
            >
            > SPACICAMINAR SODALIS
            >
            > Latin translations that I have found refer to these derivations as: STREWN, WALKING, GROUPS
            >
            > Not sure if this means: FARMER or FOOT SOLDIER
            >
            > have been googling this for some time and am hoping to find a resource to learn what this latin translation is.
            >
            > Thank you

          • MELANIE MEACHAM
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19, 2010
              Tom,
              Any chance the surname Kukuta is derived from your surname or vice versa?  My gr gr grandmother's maiden name was Kukuta (first name Maria or Mary).  She married Janos (John) Puskar and they lived in Nagydomasa and immigrated to Farrell PA in the late 1890's and early 1900's (the parents arrived first and the children arrived a few years later- my 14 year old gr grandmother taking care of her 11 and 9 year old brothers on the ship).  My cousins told me the name Kukuta and I found it on the church records of my gr grandmother's birth but cannot find anything else.  If you have heard this name could you please let me know what village?

              Thanks,
              Melanie

              ________________________________

              --- On Sun, 1/17/10, Canaryville Kukuk <_takukuk@aol. tak_

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 19, 2010
                Melanie,
                The village of Nagy Domasa, in Slovak Velka Domasa, I believe is now under water. There is a reservoir, Vodna Nadrz Velka Domasa, northeast of Presov. The drive is about 28 miles, I've been to it. On the lower southeast side of the lake is the town of Holcikovce. On the 1910 map it shows a road going towards what is now the lake to N. Domasa. On a modern map that road would go into the lake. On a website that lists all of the towns in Slovakia they have no listing for Velka Domasa. Another website combined the information of Velka Domasa with the town of Holcikovce. The last listing for Velka Domasa was in 1966.
                I entered Kukuta in the 1995 Slovak Census. There were no hits. There were alternatives -kakuta kukta kukuca kukuda kukula kukura. The only one that had hits in towns relatively close to Velka Donmasa was -
                Priezvisko KAKUTA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 19×, celkový počet lokalít: 3, v lokalitách:
                HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 12×;
                MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 4×;
                CHLMEC, okr. HUMENNÉ – 3×;

                In the listing of surnames for Holcikovce and Velka Domasa the only ones that came close to Kukuta were Kudsova, Kudzia and Kudza.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
                  Thank you, Michael!  I will follow these paths and see what I find.  I am certain that my gr gr grandmother was not born in Nagy Domasa, but probably near by.  I appreciate your assistance!

                  ________________________________

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
                    Melanie,
                    When I do not find a surname in the 1995 Slovak Census the two obvious choices are: 1) the family line has died out and 2) the spelling of the surname is not what it was in Slovakia. The Census program did offer those six alternatives. But it was only Kakuta that had any link to eastern Slovakia. Since the spelling is off by only one letter my inclination is to think it might possibly be the original.
                    Ellis Island had only three listings for Kukuta. One said he was a Polish Ruthenian. Kakuta had 12 Ellis Island listings. Two came from Dedacov which is not to far due east of Velka Domasa. There were a few more from Slovakia villages.
                    I also did a "bullseye" search out from Holcikovce in hopes of seeing if Kukuta was a surname in any of the villages. The closest after Kukata was a Kukuruc in the village of Zalobin.
                    The surname Puskar in the Census a listing of 667 in 135 places. The vast majority of the places are in Eastern Slovakia. My alternative surname search site had listings for Puskar in Holcikove / Velka Domasa and the nearby village of Giglovce. Here is the link to the online records for Holcikove - http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/#p=waypoint;s=waypointsOnly;c=1554443;w=0 Out of interest I opened a page on it was Puskar. It is handwritten, the "s" is very elongated and looks more like the way someone would write a capital "J" and the "k" is closed on top so it looks more like a capitol "R". The handwritting was beautiful to read once you got use to how the letters are formed. Go to this website and under the heading "Church Records" print of the three types of records in Latin and Hungarian so you will know what you are looking at - http://www.bmi.net/~latin/
                    Happy hunting!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010
                      Melanie, I am relatively new to these forums, but my reply didnt string along but instead is a separate entry (and I already forgot the number- pre-alzheimers kicking in) #24650 I think... you will see it by looking about six posts lower. Sorry, want to make sure you knew that I responded. Regards, Tom K.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MELANIE MEACHAM <meachamms@...> wrote:

                      > Tom,
                      > Any chance the surname Kukuta is derived from your surname or vice versa?  My gr gr grandmother's maiden name was Kukuta (first name Maria or Mary).  She married Janos (John) Puskar and they lived in Nagydomasa and immigrated to Farrell PA in the late 1890's and early 1900's (the parents arrived first and the children arrived a few years later- my 14 year old gr grandmother taking care of her 11 and 9 year old brothers on the ship).  My cousins told me the name Kukuta and I found it on the church records of my gr grandmother's birth but cannot find anything else.  If you have heard this name could you please let me know what village?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Melanie

                    • MELANIE MEACHAM
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 22, 2010
                        Michael,
                        My memory isn't what it used to be.  I doubled checked my family records last night and discovered that the spelling IS Kakuta.  My gr grandmother was Susan Puskar, but it was Zuzusa Puskar in Slovakia.  I'm going to follow up on the Kakuta in Dedacov.  Strange family history and tragic tales resulted in this branch of my family splintering in about 1915.  Susan Puskar died that year and her family had no more dealings with my grandfather and his family.  It has not been easy trying to piece it all together.  Thanks again for your help!

                        Melanie