Re: This one may be impossible

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, udgrad91@d... wrote:
      > Hi, I just found this website and am new to genealogy.
      > I am looking for anyone who may have information on Anna Sedlak,
      > b. Oct. 1892 She came over in 1911 from Spiska, Czech Rep. and
      > settled in Youngstown, OH.
      >
      > Most of my relatives are deceased and I only have minimal
      information.

      > Am I asking the impossible question?
      >
      > Janet

      Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
      Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

      Czech-Bohemia was an Austrian Kröneland and also part of the
      Austro-Hungarian Monarchy(1867-1918).

      In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
      Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
      portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

      (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

      So your document must have been from the post-WW I period.

      If married and her spouse was naturalized before 1922, her birthplace
      would be listed in his naturalization papers.

      Before WW I, Spiska was the old Hungarian county called Szepes
      (beautiful)
      Megye located in eastern Slovakia.
      After peace treaty (1920) the Slovaks changed the Hungarian names to
      Slovak.

      Before the Slovak z^upy/stolice system of counties was discontinued in
      1923
      this was called Spis.
      Because of Slovak grammatical gender case this word may appear either
      as Spis^ská, Spis^ské or Spis^sky'when used as a village name prefix.

      Sedlak is the 37th most common surname in the Czech Republic.
      It means - a farmer.
      Sedlak can also be a Slovak surname.

      You need to discover her village/town of origin in Europe to rsearch
      possible
      pre-emigration records ?

      There are probably 1500-2000 surname Sedlak bearers just in the U.S.

      So follow the suggested Youngstown, OH leads first.