Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] This one may be impossible

  • Dick & Johanna Mihalek
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2000
      Hi Janet,
      There are many of us who are willing to help if we can. The Sedlak name is
      quite common. I wonder if she didn't come from Slovakia (actually Hungary
      at that time) as there is where the Spisska County/Zupa was located.

      Can you supply us with any additional information?

      Dick M.

      Richard & Johanna Mihalek
      Northern Wisconsin by Lake Superior
      valhalla@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2000
        We have the surname index for the Slovaks of Mahoning County Ohio on line at
        http://www.iarelative.com/22census/

        The public library in Youngstown also has a nice collection of city
        directories.

        The Youngstown Vindicator with detailed obituaries is on microfilm at the
        library too.

        The Vindicator went out of its way to always include city of birth and
        parents name including maiden names of mothers.

        Oplatki for 2000 is now available at
        http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/oplatki_order.htm

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

        > Hi, I just found this website and am new to genealogy.
        > I am looking for anyone who may have information on Anna Sedlak,
        > b. Oct. 1892 She came over in 1911 from Spiska, Czech Rep. and
        > settled in Youngstown, OH.
        >
        > Most of my relatives are deceased and I only have minimal information.
        >
        > Am I asking the impossible question?
        >
        > Janet

      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, udgrad91@d... wrote:
          > Hi, I just found this website and am new to genealogy.
          > I am looking for anyone who may have information on Anna Sedlak,
          > b. Oct. 1892 She came over in 1911 from Spiska, Czech Rep. and
          > settled in Youngstown, OH.
          >
          > Most of my relatives are deceased and I only have minimal
          information.

          > Am I asking the impossible question?
          >
          > Janet

          Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
          part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
          Austrian Empire.
          Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

          Czech-Bohemia was an Austrian Kröneland and also part of the
          Austro-Hungarian Monarchy(1867-1918).

          In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
          Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
          portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

          (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

          So your document must have been from the post-WW I period.

          If married and her spouse was naturalized before 1922, her birthplace
          would be listed in his naturalization papers.

          Before WW I, Spiska was the old Hungarian county called Szepes
          (beautiful)
          Megye located in eastern Slovakia.
          After peace treaty (1920) the Slovaks changed the Hungarian names to
          Slovak.

          Before the Slovak z^upy/stolice system of counties was discontinued in
          1923
          this was called Spis.
          Because of Slovak grammatical gender case this word may appear either
          as Spis^ská, Spis^ské or Spis^sky'when used as a village name prefix.

          Sedlak is the 37th most common surname in the Czech Republic.
          It means - a farmer.
          Sedlak can also be a Slovak surname.

          You need to discover her village/town of origin in Europe to rsearch
          possible
          pre-emigration records ?

          There are probably 1500-2000 surname Sedlak bearers just in the U.S.

          So follow the suggested Youngstown, OH leads first.