This one may be impossible

  • udgrad91@donet.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2000
      Hi, I just found this website and am new to genealogy.
      I am looking for anyone who may have information on Anna Sedlak,
      b. Oct. 1892 She came over in 1911 from Spiska, Czech Rep. and
      settled in Youngstown, OH.

      Most of my relatives are deceased and I only have minimal information.

      Am I asking the impossible question?

      Janet
    • Dick & Johanna Mihalek
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2000
        Hi Janet,
        There are many of us who are willing to help if we can. The Sedlak name is
        quite common. I wonder if she didn't come from Slovakia (actually Hungary
        at that time) as there is where the Spisska County/Zupa was located.

        Can you supply us with any additional information?

        Dick M.

        Richard & Johanna Mihalek
        Northern Wisconsin by Lake Superior
        valhalla@...
        > Hi, I just found this website and am new to genealogy.
        > I am looking for anyone who may have information on Anna Sedlak,
        > b. Oct. 1892 She came over in 1911 from Spiska, Czech Rep. and
        > settled in Youngstown, OH.
        >
        > Most of my relatives are deceased and I only have minimal information.
        >
        > Am I asking the impossible question?
        >
        > Janet

      • Gregory J. Kopchak
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2000
          We have the surname index for the Slovaks of Mahoning County Ohio on line at
          http://www.iarelative.com/22census/

          The public library in Youngstown also has a nice collection of city
          directories.

          The Youngstown Vindicator with detailed obituaries is on microfilm at the
          library too.

          The Vindicator went out of its way to always include city of birth and
          parents name including maiden names of mothers.

          Oplatki for 2000 is now available at
          http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/oplatki_order.htm

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          > Hi, I just found this website and am new to genealogy.
          > I am looking for anyone who may have information on Anna Sedlak,
          > b. Oct. 1892 She came over in 1911 from Spiska, Czech Rep. and
          > settled in Youngstown, OH.
          >
          > Most of my relatives are deceased and I only have minimal information.
          >
          > Am I asking the impossible question?
          >
          > Janet

        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, udgrad91@d... wrote:
            > Hi, I just found this website and am new to genealogy.
            > I am looking for anyone who may have information on Anna Sedlak,
            > b. Oct. 1892 She came over in 1911 from Spiska, Czech Rep. and
            > settled in Youngstown, OH.
            >
            > Most of my relatives are deceased and I only have minimal
            information.

            > Am I asking the impossible question?
            >
            > Janet

            Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
            part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
            Austrian Empire.
            Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

            Czech-Bohemia was an Austrian Kröneland and also part of the
            Austro-Hungarian Monarchy(1867-1918).

            In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
            Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
            portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

            (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

            So your document must have been from the post-WW I period.

            If married and her spouse was naturalized before 1922, her birthplace
            would be listed in his naturalization papers.

            Before WW I, Spiska was the old Hungarian county called Szepes
            (beautiful)
            Megye located in eastern Slovakia.
            After peace treaty (1920) the Slovaks changed the Hungarian names to
            Slovak.

            Before the Slovak z^upy/stolice system of counties was discontinued in
            1923
            this was called Spis.
            Because of Slovak grammatical gender case this word may appear either
            as Spis^ská, Spis^ské or Spis^sky'when used as a village name prefix.

            Sedlak is the 37th most common surname in the Czech Republic.
            It means - a farmer.
            Sedlak can also be a Slovak surname.

            You need to discover her village/town of origin in Europe to rsearch
            possible
            pre-emigration records ?

            There are probably 1500-2000 surname Sedlak bearers just in the U.S.

            So follow the suggested Youngstown, OH leads first.