Re: Austria-Hungary

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      frankur@a...
      > writes:
      >
      > << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa
      (H)
      > Kaschau (G),too.
      >
      > If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
      > of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
      > Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
      > inverted over the letter s ?
      >
      > Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located
      in
      > eastern Slovakia.
      > Yes ?
      >
      > Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
      > Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from
      eastern
      > Slovakia.
      > Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.
      >
      > What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
      > Were they married pre-emigration ?
      > What was surname religion ?
      > >>
      > Hi Frank:
      >
      > My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that
      they met
      > here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from
      what
      I have
      > figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
      > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
      Petrik,
      > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
      > I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa
      Hamor.
      > The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa.
      Then the
      > marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an
      error,
      > maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
      > They were both roman Catholics.
      >
      > Thanks for your help!
      > Kathi

      Very good Kathi !

      That helped to localize the place names.
      You have three different documents and place names in Hungarian and
      Slovak languages.

      Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) district with county seat located at Myslava,
      Slovakia.
      Formerly located in Hungarian Abaúj-Torna Megye (county)
      NW of Kassa Béla (H) Kos^ická Belá (Sv)
      Next to K. Folkmar (H) Vel'ky' Folkmar (Sv) is Kassa Hámor (H)
      now Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1750-1896) for Kassa
      Hámor (H) Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)
      Listed under Kos^ická Belá.
      film #
      1978934
      1978935
      1978936

      So your GF was György (H) Juraj (Sv) Gregorius (L) George (E)

      Good luck !
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:

        > Hi Frank:

        > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
        Petrik,
        > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 14 surname Miko and the
        feminine version Miková of the surname under Lipany, Slovakia.

        Directory also lists 24 surname Miko/Miková under Kos^ice.

        The directory lists 88 surname Petrík/Petríková
        under Kos^ice.
      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 15, 2000
          Frank