Re: Austria-Hungary

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
      > Hello Everyone
      >
      > After having successfully identified the city my grandmother was
      born in, I
      > now need to come to a conclusion regarding my grandfather's place
      of
      birth.

      > I have been looking at his marriage certificate daily for the past
      two weeks
      > trying to decipher the letters of the town or village he was born
      in. I
      > have come up with KOVIEC or KOVICE. Would anyone be able to help
      me
      with
      > theis?

      Kathi

      Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
      Kaschau (G),too.

      If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
      of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
      Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
      inverted over the letter s ?

      Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
      eastern Slovakia.
      Yes ?

      Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
      Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
      Slovakia.
      Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

      What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
      Were they married pre-emigration ?
      What was surname religion ?
    • kathiraisa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
        In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, frankur@...
        writes:

        << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
        Kaschau (G),too.

        If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
        of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
        Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
        inverted over the letter s ?

        Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
        eastern Slovakia.
        Yes ?

        Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
        Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
        Slovakia.
        Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

        What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
        Were they married pre-emigration ?
        What was surname religion ?

        Hi Frank:

        My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that they met
        here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from what I have
        figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
        Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy Petrik,
        which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
        I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa Hamor.
        The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa. Then the
        marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an error,
        maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
        They were both roman Catholics.

        Thanks for your help!
        Kathi
      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          frankur@a...
          > writes:
          >
          > << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa
          (H)
          > Kaschau (G),too.
          >
          > If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
          > of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
          > Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
          > inverted over the letter s ?
          >
          > Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located
          in
          > eastern Slovakia.
          > Yes ?
          >
          > Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
          > Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from
          eastern
          > Slovakia.
          > Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.
          >
          > What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
          > Were they married pre-emigration ?
          > What was surname religion ?
          > >>
          > Hi Frank:
          >
          > My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that
          they met
          > here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from
          what
          I have
          > figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
          > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
          Petrik,
          > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
          > I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa
          Hamor.
          > The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa.
          Then the
          > marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an
          error,
          > maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
          > They were both roman Catholics.
          >
          > Thanks for your help!
          > Kathi

          Very good Kathi !

          That helped to localize the place names.
          You have three different documents and place names in Hungarian and
          Slovak languages.

          Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) district with county seat located at Myslava,
          Slovakia.
          Formerly located in Hungarian Abaúj-Torna Megye (county)
          NW of Kassa Béla (H) Kos^ická Belá (Sv)
          Next to K. Folkmar (H) Vel'ky' Folkmar (Sv) is Kassa Hámor (H)
          now Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)

          The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1750-1896) for Kassa
          Hámor (H) Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)
          Listed under Kos^ická Belá.
          film #
          1978934
          1978935
          1978936

          So your GF was György (H) Juraj (Sv) Gregorius (L) George (E)

          Good luck !
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:

            > Hi Frank:

            > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
            Petrik,
            > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).

            The Slovakia telephone directory lists 14 surname Miko and the
            feminine version Miková of the surname under Lipany, Slovakia.

            Directory also lists 24 surname Miko/Miková under Kos^ice.

            The directory lists 88 surname Petrík/Petríková
            under Kos^ice.
          • kathiraisa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 15, 2000
              Frank