Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Austria-Hungary

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
      Hi

      I thought it could be Kosice but comparing the letters with other words in
      the certificate it really doesn't seem so. But would Kosice already be
      called Kosice in 1907?

      Thank you!
      Kathi
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
        > Hello Everyone
        >
        > After having successfully identified the city my grandmother was
        born in, I
        > now need to come to a conclusion regarding my grandfather's place
        of
        birth.

        > I have been looking at his marriage certificate daily for the past
        two weeks
        > trying to decipher the letters of the town or village he was born
        in. I
        > have come up with KOVIEC or KOVICE. Would anyone be able to help
        me
        with
        > theis?

        Kathi

        Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
        Kaschau (G),too.

        If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
        of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
        Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
        inverted over the letter s ?

        Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
        eastern Slovakia.
        Yes ?

        Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
        Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
        Slovakia.
        Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

        What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
        Were they married pre-emigration ?
        What was surname religion ?
      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
          In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, frankur@...
          writes:

          << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
          Kaschau (G),too.

          If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
          of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
          Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
          inverted over the letter s ?

          Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
          eastern Slovakia.
          Yes ?

          Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
          Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
          Slovakia.
          Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

          What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
          Were they married pre-emigration ?
          What was surname religion ?

          Hi Frank:

          My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that they met
          here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from what I have
          figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
          Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy Petrik,
          which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
          I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa Hamor.
          The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa. Then the
          marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an error,
          maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
          They were both roman Catholics.

          Thanks for your help!
          Kathi
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            frankur@a...
            > writes:
            >
            > << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa
            (H)
            > Kaschau (G),too.
            >
            > If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
            > of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
            > Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
            > inverted over the letter s ?
            >
            > Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located
            in
            > eastern Slovakia.
            > Yes ?
            >
            > Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
            > Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from
            eastern
            > Slovakia.
            > Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.
            >
            > What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
            > Were they married pre-emigration ?
            > What was surname religion ?
            > >>
            > Hi Frank:
            >
            > My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that
            they met
            > here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from
            what
            I have
            > figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
            > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
            Petrik,
            > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
            > I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa
            Hamor.
            > The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa.
            Then the
            > marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an
            error,
            > maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
            > They were both roman Catholics.
            >
            > Thanks for your help!
            > Kathi

            Very good Kathi !

            That helped to localize the place names.
            You have three different documents and place names in Hungarian and
            Slovak languages.

            Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) district with county seat located at Myslava,
            Slovakia.
            Formerly located in Hungarian Abaúj-Torna Megye (county)
            NW of Kassa Béla (H) Kos^ická Belá (Sv)
            Next to K. Folkmar (H) Vel'ky' Folkmar (Sv) is Kassa Hámor (H)
            now Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)

            The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1750-1896) for Kassa
            Hámor (H) Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)
            Listed under Kos^ická Belá.
            film #
            1978934
            1978935
            1978936

            So your GF was György (H) Juraj (Sv) Gregorius (L) George (E)

            Good luck !
          • Frank Kurchina
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:

              > Hi Frank:

              > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
              Petrik,
              > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).

              The Slovakia telephone directory lists 14 surname Miko and the
              feminine version Miková of the surname under Lipany, Slovakia.

              Directory also lists 24 surname Miko/Miková under Kos^ice.

              The directory lists 88 surname Petrík/Petríková
              under Kos^ice.
            • kathiraisa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 15, 2000
                Frank