Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Austria-Hungary KOVIEC or KOVICE

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12 1:09 PM
      Hi

      No, definitely it looks like an "o". The copy of the certificate isn't very
      good, so it is hard to understand each letter. The two first letters are
      definitely K o then it could be v i e; the last letter is the most misterious
      of all as it could be a fancy "c" or an "L" or even an "e". It isn't old
      fashioned handwritting, it is bad handwritting.
      Thanks for your help.
      Kathi
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12 6:42 PM
        Can you give us any idea of an area of Slovakia you suspect.

        To answer the question in your other post - Košice was still under Hungarian
        control in 1907 so it would be listed as Kassa in official records.

        Note - - - it is helpful to leave at least some of the previous message to which
        you reply so the subject can be followed.

        Dr. "Q"

      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13 5:52 AM
          Hello Dr. "Q":

          Sorry, I thought my previous messages would automatically be part of my new
          outgoing message once I clicked on the "reply" botton. The e-mail I have at
          work works that way.

          I am a bit lost when it concerns my grandfather. I have a form that he
          filled out (maybe a draft of the census, I don't know) where he says he comes
          from Kassa Hamor. The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was
          Kassa. Then the marriage certificate has Koviec or Kovice. I remember my
          mother telling me that he used to say that he came from a small village where
          everyone had the surname "Petrik".
          His death certificate is of no help whatsoever, as it says his parents are
          "unknown" (not true) and he was from Czechoslovakia.

          I have no clue what to do now. Thanks for your help! :)
          Kathi
          Cockeysville, MD

          In a message dated 10/12/00 9:44:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          judyq@... writes:

          << Can you give us any idea of an area of Slovakia you suspect.

          To answer the question in your other post - Ko¹ice was still under Hungarian