Re: Austria-Hungary KOVIEC or KOVICE

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
      Could it be Kevice 5 km north of Turčianske Teplice adn 17 km south of Martin?
      Towns with "Kov" are not very common.

      Dr. "Q"

    • kathiraisa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
        Hi

        No, definitely it looks like an "o". The copy of the certificate isn't very
        good, so it is hard to understand each letter. The two first letters are
        definitely K o then it could be v i e; the last letter is the most misterious
        of all as it could be a fancy "c" or an "L" or even an "e". It isn't old
        fashioned handwritting, it is bad handwritting.
        Thanks for your help.
        Kathi
      • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
          Can you give us any idea of an area of Slovakia you suspect.

          To answer the question in your other post - Košice was still under Hungarian
          control in 1907 so it would be listed as Kassa in official records.

          Note - - - it is helpful to leave at least some of the previous message to which
          you reply so the subject can be followed.

          Dr. "Q"

        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2000
            Hello Dr. "Q":

            Sorry, I thought my previous messages would automatically be part of my new
            outgoing message once I clicked on the "reply" botton. The e-mail I have at
            work works that way.

            I am a bit lost when it concerns my grandfather. I have a form that he
            filled out (maybe a draft of the census, I don't know) where he says he comes
            from Kassa Hamor. The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was
            Kassa. Then the marriage certificate has Koviec or Kovice. I remember my
            mother telling me that he used to say that he came from a small village where
            everyone had the surname "Petrik".
            His death certificate is of no help whatsoever, as it says his parents are
            "unknown" (not true) and he was from Czechoslovakia.

            I have no clue what to do now. Thanks for your help! :)
            Kathi
            Cockeysville, MD

            In a message dated 10/12/00 9:44:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            judyq@... writes:

            << Can you give us any idea of an area of Slovakia you suspect.

            To answer the question in your other post - Ko¹ice was still under Hungarian