Austria-Hungary

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
      Hello Everyone

      After having successfully identified the city my grandmother was born in, I
      now need to come to a conclusion regarding my grandfather's place of birth.

      I have been looking at his marriage certificate daily for the past two weeks
      trying to decipher the letters of the town or village he was born in. I
      have come up with KOVIEC or KOVICE. Would anyone be able to help me with
      theis?

      Thanks!
      Kathi
      Cockeysville, MD
    • sunysa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
        Do you think it's possible that it might be Kosice?

        Paul Horvat

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
          Hi

          I thought it could be Kosice but comparing the letters with other words in
          the certificate it really doesn't seem so. But would Kosice already be
          called Kosice in 1907?

          Thank you!
          Kathi
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
            > Hello Everyone
            >
            > After having successfully identified the city my grandmother was
            born in, I
            > now need to come to a conclusion regarding my grandfather's place
            of
            birth.

            > I have been looking at his marriage certificate daily for the past
            two weeks
            > trying to decipher the letters of the town or village he was born
            in. I
            > have come up with KOVIEC or KOVICE. Would anyone be able to help
            me
            with
            > theis?

            Kathi

            Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
            Kaschau (G),too.

            If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
            of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
            Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
            inverted over the letter s ?

            Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
            eastern Slovakia.
            Yes ?

            Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
            Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
            Slovakia.
            Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

            What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
            Were they married pre-emigration ?
            What was surname religion ?
          • kathiraisa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
              In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, frankur@...
              writes:

              << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
              Kaschau (G),too.

              If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
              of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
              Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
              inverted over the letter s ?

              Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
              eastern Slovakia.
              Yes ?

              Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
              Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
              Slovakia.
              Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

              What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
              Were they married pre-emigration ?
              What was surname religion ?

              Hi Frank:

              My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that they met
              here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from what I have
              figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
              Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy Petrik,
              which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
              I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa Hamor.
              The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa. Then the
              marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an error,
              maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
              They were both roman Catholics.

              Thanks for your help!
              Kathi
            • Frank Kurchina
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                frankur@a...
                > writes:
                >
                > << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa
                (H)
                > Kaschau (G),too.
                >
                > If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
                > of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
                > Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
                > inverted over the letter s ?
                >
                > Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located
                in
                > eastern Slovakia.
                > Yes ?
                >
                > Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
                > Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from
                eastern
                > Slovakia.
                > Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.
                >
                > What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
                > Were they married pre-emigration ?
                > What was surname religion ?
                > >>
                > Hi Frank:
                >
                > My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that
                they met
                > here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from
                what
                I have
                > figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
                > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
                Petrik,
                > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
                > I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa
                Hamor.
                > The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa.
                Then the
                > marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an
                error,
                > maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
                > They were both roman Catholics.
                >
                > Thanks for your help!
                > Kathi

                Very good Kathi !

                That helped to localize the place names.
                You have three different documents and place names in Hungarian and
                Slovak languages.

                Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) district with county seat located at Myslava,
                Slovakia.
                Formerly located in Hungarian Abaúj-Torna Megye (county)
                NW of Kassa Béla (H) Kos^ická Belá (Sv)
                Next to K. Folkmar (H) Vel'ky' Folkmar (Sv) is Kassa Hámor (H)
                now Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)

                The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1750-1896) for Kassa
                Hámor (H) Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)
                Listed under Kos^ická Belá.
                film #
                1978934
                1978935
                1978936

                So your GF was György (H) Juraj (Sv) Gregorius (L) George (E)

                Good luck !
              • Frank Kurchina
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:

                  > Hi Frank:

                  > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
                  Petrik,
                  > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).

                  The Slovakia telephone directory lists 14 surname Miko and the
                  feminine version Miková of the surname under Lipany, Slovakia.

                  Directory also lists 24 surname Miko/Miková under Kos^ice.

                  The directory lists 88 surname Petrík/Petríková
                  under Kos^ice.
                • kathiraisa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 15, 2000
                    Frank