Genealogy Geeks

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2010
      Dear Members,
      Mike McDermott posted [S-R] Changing Map of Eastern Europe. With it was a link to the Silicone Valley Genealogical Society. www.svcgg.org
      I went to the website. Within it are some very interesting links. For most of us their How To's would be of interest. Explore. You may find something that is very helpful.
      Thanks Mike.
      Michael Mojher

    • jenna-m
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2010
        How timely. My niece who is  a HS senior at  a HS in the bay area just called tonight to get some family history from me to present to her class this week.  She was impressed that just by asking some questions about her family...that she was learning world history, nd getting  sense of chnging history, culture and societies.  I stressed tht getting some understnding of changing maps might be helpful to understnding why her Slovak-speaking gggrndparents were listed as "Hungarian" on the boats coming over and cited as "Czechoslovkian" on the 1930 census. She wanted to include some older and contemporary maps...I will forward her the svcgg.org site  When I mentioned the numbers of people from the same village/ area on the boats coming over (both the ancestors sailed, at seperate times,  out of Bremen) she asked a very interesting question for a high schooler...were they "recruited" for jobs, here?  Ahhhh...the old why did they come here question
        ...from the younger generation.

        I am also sending her some photos from my trip in August so tht she can see photos of some of the older village women in the traditional kroj dress, and another picture of them and me and my friend who (synchronisticlly and quite unintentionally) in another picture were wearing the same colors as the traditional dress.  Also sending some photos of Kosice and Bratislava for contrast to village areas.

        Thanks for the heads up on the link...will have to check it out.

        Jenna

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2010
          Jenna,
          The 1885 Foran Act was suppose to ban labor recruitment. On entering the USA immigrants were asked if they had a job. If they answered yes it was cause to have them return to Europe. The word spread quickly on how to answer that question. By 1906 it was found that 90% immigrants that checked into Ellis Island had a destination in mind and nothing could persuade them to change it. Why would so many be so determined to get to a particular place? Most likely a job.
          There is an excellent book of maps that would be perfect for you nieces project - Historical Atlas of Central Europe by Paul Robert Magocsi. There are 61 maps beginning in 400 to the present showing the history of Central Europe.

          I went to the website. Within it are some very interesting links. For most of us their How To's would be of interest. Explore. You may find something that is very helpful.
          Thanks Mike.
          Michael Mojher

        • JOHN
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
            >>> she asked a very interesting question for a high schooler...were they "recruited" for jobs, here?  Ahhhh...the old why did they come here question ...from the younger generation. <<<

            Yes. Often, their passage was paid and they were provided "show money". This was repaid through emplyment.
          • jenna-m
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
              Thanks Michael, I did not know about the Foran Act....a year after the Chinese Exclusion Act when many in the country felt we would be mongolized by the numbers of Asians coming into the US, interesting. The book  looks like a great resource. I shall pass this along. Thanks!
              Jenna

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
                Thanks much ,John Q.
                Jenna