Re: Villages in Slovakia

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, PHILBAER@a... wrote:

      > Howdy Chat Group,

      > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"

      > Philip Baer
      > Houston, TX

      On the Web the online LDS FH Library catalog is not up to date.

      The microfilms of matriky for L'ubotice (Kellemes) are listed as
      follows :

      R.C. 1809-1895
      under Niz^ná S^ebastová (Also'sebes)
      film #
      1792926-179929

      G.C. 1827-1952
      under S^aris^ské Jastrabie (Felso"kánya)
      film #
      1794092-1794093
      Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Ruthenian.

      Medve means 'bear' in Hungarian.
      Archaic digraph 'cz' is pron. ts in Hungarian, but the modern
      spelling is letter 'c'.
    • PHILBAER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
        Thanks to all who responded to my request for help!
        Judy & Dr. Joe Quashnock and Frank Kurchina - you folks are good; I now have info to open up my family history research to Slovakia. I'm so excited with this new information!
        Best regards,
        Philip (Medvecz)Baer
        Houston, TX