Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Villages in Slovakia

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
      I looked up Veľký Ruskov, there are microfilmed records available from at the LDS
      Family History Centers, film numbers 2006441 and 2006442 covering the period of
      1795-1895.

      A microfilm for Hertnik is also available, film number 1792097 covering 1856-1895.

      For a few dollars (about $3.25 per film), you can look for the names and start your
      search.

      I think I have the answer to "Kalamash" - - - Ľubotice is the present name of the
      old Hungarian town Kellemes which would have the pronunciation of "Kall a mash". It
      is 4 km east of Prešov. There are no microfilms available for Ľubotice, but you can
      probably find the town listed with Prešov.

      Dr. "Q"

      "Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock" wrote:

      > Hartnik could be Hertnik 10 km south of Bardejov and 60 km north of Košice. A
      > very small town in the old Saris county.
      >
      > Velke Ruske could be Veľký Ruskov, 3 km west of Trebišov, 20 km south west of
      > Michalovce, and 40 km east of Košice. Veľký Ruskov is a suburb of Trebišov, it
      > is in old Zemplén county.
      >
      > Regarding "Kalamash", do you have any other idea of its spelling or
      > pronunciation?
      >
      > Dr. "Q"
      >
      > PHILBAER@... wrote:
      >
      > > Howdy Chat Group,
      > > I have enjoyed the exchanges tremendously on this web site. Now I have a
      > > request for assistance locating villages in old Austria-Hungary. I have
      > > recently located documents from Streator, IL (LaSalleCounty) that indicate
      > > village names from where my great-grandparents came from in Slovakia. I am
      > > hoping that I can locate these places for further research into my family
      > > history. Can anyone locate these places?
      > >
      > > My great-grandmother, Anna Majirsky, was born in1874 in "Hartnak" in Saros
      > > district.
      > >
      > > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"
      > >
      > > The husband of my great-great-aunt's husband, Michael Porhincak, was born in
      > > 1872 in Velke Ruske in Zemplen district.
      > >
      > > Also, I believe that my great-grandfather, John Medvecz, came to America in
      > > 1892, but I have not found immigration records. Can anyone help?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Philip Baer
      > > Houston, TX

    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, PHILBAER@a... wrote:

        > Howdy Chat Group,

        > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"

        > Philip Baer
        > Houston, TX

        On the Web the online LDS FH Library catalog is not up to date.

        The microfilms of matriky for L'ubotice (Kellemes) are listed as
        follows :

        R.C. 1809-1895
        under Niz^ná S^ebastová (Also'sebes)
        film #
        1792926-179929

        G.C. 1827-1952
        under S^aris^ské Jastrabie (Felso"kánya)
        film #
        1794092-1794093
        Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Ruthenian.

        Medve means 'bear' in Hungarian.
        Archaic digraph 'cz' is pron. ts in Hungarian, but the modern
        spelling is letter 'c'.
      • PHILBAER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
          Thanks to all who responded to my request for help!
          Judy & Dr. Joe Quashnock and Frank Kurchina - you folks are good; I now have info to open up my family history research to Slovakia. I'm so excited with this new information!
          Best regards,
          Philip (Medvecz)Baer
          Houston, TX