Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Villages in Slovakia

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
      Hartnik could be Hertnik 10 km south of Bardejov and 60 km north of Košice. A
      very small town in the old Saris county.

      Velke Ruske could be Veľký Ruskov, 3 km west of Trebišov, 20 km south west of
      Michalovce, and 40 km east of Košice. Veľký Ruskov is a suburb of Trebišov, it
      is in old Zemplén county.

      Regarding "Kalamash", do you have any other idea of its spelling or
      pronunciation?

      Dr. "Q"

      PHILBAER@... wrote:

      > Howdy Chat Group,
      > I have enjoyed the exchanges tremendously on this web site. Now I have a
      > request for assistance locating villages in old Austria-Hungary. I have
      > recently located documents from Streator, IL (LaSalleCounty) that indicate
      > village names from where my great-grandparents came from in Slovakia. I am
      > hoping that I can locate these places for further research into my family
      > history. Can anyone locate these places?
      >
      > My great-grandmother, Anna Majirsky, was born in1874 in "Hartnak" in Saros
      > district.
      >
      > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"
      >
      > The husband of my great-great-aunt's husband, Michael Porhincak, was born in
      > 1872 in Velke Ruske in Zemplen district.
      >
      > Also, I believe that my great-grandfather, John Medvecz, came to America in
      > 1892, but I have not found immigration records. Can anyone help?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Philip Baer
      > Houston, TX
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
        I looked up Veľký Ruskov, there are microfilmed records available from at the LDS
        Family History Centers, film numbers 2006441 and 2006442 covering the period of
        1795-1895.

        A microfilm for Hertnik is also available, film number 1792097 covering 1856-1895.

        For a few dollars (about $3.25 per film), you can look for the names and start your
        search.

        I think I have the answer to "Kalamash" - - - Ľubotice is the present name of the
        old Hungarian town Kellemes which would have the pronunciation of "Kall a mash". It
        is 4 km east of Prešov. There are no microfilms available for Ľubotice, but you can
        probably find the town listed with Prešov.

        Dr. "Q"

        "Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock" wrote:

        > Hartnik could be Hertnik 10 km south of Bardejov and 60 km north of Košice. A
        > very small town in the old Saris county.
        >
        > Velke Ruske could be Veľký Ruskov, 3 km west of Trebišov, 20 km south west of
        > Michalovce, and 40 km east of Košice. Veľký Ruskov is a suburb of Trebišov, it
        > is in old Zemplén county.
        >
        > Regarding "Kalamash", do you have any other idea of its spelling or
        > pronunciation?
        >
        > Dr. "Q"
        >
        > PHILBAER@... wrote:
        >
        > > Howdy Chat Group,
        > > I have enjoyed the exchanges tremendously on this web site. Now I have a
        > > request for assistance locating villages in old Austria-Hungary. I have
        > > recently located documents from Streator, IL (LaSalleCounty) that indicate
        > > village names from where my great-grandparents came from in Slovakia. I am
        > > hoping that I can locate these places for further research into my family
        > > history. Can anyone locate these places?
        > >
        > > My great-grandmother, Anna Majirsky, was born in1874 in "Hartnak" in Saros
        > > district.
        > >
        > > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"
        > >
        > > The husband of my great-great-aunt's husband, Michael Porhincak, was born in
        > > 1872 in Velke Ruske in Zemplen district.
        > >
        > > Also, I believe that my great-grandfather, John Medvecz, came to America in
        > > 1892, but I have not found immigration records. Can anyone help?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Philip Baer
        > > Houston, TX

      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, PHILBAER@a... wrote:

          > Howdy Chat Group,

          > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"

          > Philip Baer
          > Houston, TX

          On the Web the online LDS FH Library catalog is not up to date.

          The microfilms of matriky for L'ubotice (Kellemes) are listed as
          follows :

          R.C. 1809-1895
          under Niz^ná S^ebastová (Also'sebes)
          film #
          1792926-179929

          G.C. 1827-1952
          under S^aris^ské Jastrabie (Felso"kánya)
          film #
          1794092-1794093
          Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Ruthenian.

          Medve means 'bear' in Hungarian.
          Archaic digraph 'cz' is pron. ts in Hungarian, but the modern
          spelling is letter 'c'.
        • PHILBAER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
            Thanks to all who responded to my request for help!
            Judy & Dr. Joe Quashnock and Frank Kurchina - you folks are good; I now have info to open up my family history research to Slovakia. I'm so excited with this new information!
            Best regards,
            Philip (Medvecz)Baer
            Houston, TX