Villages in Slovakia

  • PHILBAER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
      Howdy Chat Group,
      I have enjoyed the exchanges tremendously on this web site. Now I have a
      request for assistance locating villages in old Austria-Hungary. I have
      recently located documents from Streator, IL (LaSalleCounty) that indicate
      village names from where my great-grandparents came from in Slovakia. I am
      hoping that I can locate these places for further research into my family
      history. Can anyone locate these places?

      My great-grandmother, Anna Majirsky, was born in1874 in "Hartnak" in Saros
      district.

      My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"

      The husband of my great-great-aunt's husband, Michael Porhincak, was born in
      1872 in Velke Ruske in Zemplen district.

      Also, I believe that my great-grandfather, John Medvecz, came to America in
      1892, but I have not found immigration records. Can anyone help?

      Regards,

      Philip Baer
      Houston, TX
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
        Hartnik could be Hertnik 10 km south of Bardejov and 60 km north of Košice. A
        very small town in the old Saris county.

        Velke Ruske could be Veľký Ruskov, 3 km west of Trebišov, 20 km south west of
        Michalovce, and 40 km east of Košice. Veľký Ruskov is a suburb of Trebišov, it
        is in old Zemplén county.

        Regarding "Kalamash", do you have any other idea of its spelling or
        pronunciation?

        Dr. "Q"

        PHILBAER@... wrote:

        > Howdy Chat Group,
        > I have enjoyed the exchanges tremendously on this web site. Now I have a
        > request for assistance locating villages in old Austria-Hungary. I have
        > recently located documents from Streator, IL (LaSalleCounty) that indicate
        > village names from where my great-grandparents came from in Slovakia. I am
        > hoping that I can locate these places for further research into my family
        > history. Can anyone locate these places?
        >
        > My great-grandmother, Anna Majirsky, was born in1874 in "Hartnak" in Saros
        > district.
        >
        > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"
        >
        > The husband of my great-great-aunt's husband, Michael Porhincak, was born in
        > 1872 in Velke Ruske in Zemplen district.
        >
        > Also, I believe that my great-grandfather, John Medvecz, came to America in
        > 1892, but I have not found immigration records. Can anyone help?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Philip Baer
        > Houston, TX
      • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2000
          I looked up Veľký Ruskov, there are microfilmed records available from at the LDS
          Family History Centers, film numbers 2006441 and 2006442 covering the period of
          1795-1895.

          A microfilm for Hertnik is also available, film number 1792097 covering 1856-1895.

          For a few dollars (about $3.25 per film), you can look for the names and start your
          search.

          I think I have the answer to "Kalamash" - - - Ľubotice is the present name of the
          old Hungarian town Kellemes which would have the pronunciation of "Kall a mash". It
          is 4 km east of Prešov. There are no microfilms available for Ľubotice, but you can
          probably find the town listed with Prešov.

          Dr. "Q"

          "Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock" wrote:

          > Hartnik could be Hertnik 10 km south of Bardejov and 60 km north of Košice. A
          > very small town in the old Saris county.
          >
          > Velke Ruske could be Veľký Ruskov, 3 km west of Trebišov, 20 km south west of
          > Michalovce, and 40 km east of Košice. Veľký Ruskov is a suburb of Trebišov, it
          > is in old Zemplén county.
          >
          > Regarding "Kalamash", do you have any other idea of its spelling or
          > pronunciation?
          >
          > Dr. "Q"
          >
          > PHILBAER@... wrote:
          >
          > > Howdy Chat Group,
          > > I have enjoyed the exchanges tremendously on this web site. Now I have a
          > > request for assistance locating villages in old Austria-Hungary. I have
          > > recently located documents from Streator, IL (LaSalleCounty) that indicate
          > > village names from where my great-grandparents came from in Slovakia. I am
          > > hoping that I can locate these places for further research into my family
          > > history. Can anyone locate these places?
          > >
          > > My great-grandmother, Anna Majirsky, was born in1874 in "Hartnak" in Saros
          > > district.
          > >
          > > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"
          > >
          > > The husband of my great-great-aunt's husband, Michael Porhincak, was born in
          > > 1872 in Velke Ruske in Zemplen district.
          > >
          > > Also, I believe that my great-grandfather, John Medvecz, came to America in
          > > 1892, but I have not found immigration records. Can anyone help?
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Philip Baer
          > > Houston, TX

        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, PHILBAER@a... wrote:

            > Howdy Chat Group,

            > My great-grandfather, John Medvecz, was born in 1869 in "Kalamash?"

            > Philip Baer
            > Houston, TX

            On the Web the online LDS FH Library catalog is not up to date.

            The microfilms of matriky for L'ubotice (Kellemes) are listed as
            follows :

            R.C. 1809-1895
            under Niz^ná S^ebastová (Also'sebes)
            film #
            1792926-179929

            G.C. 1827-1952
            under S^aris^ské Jastrabie (Felso"kánya)
            film #
            1794092-1794093
            Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Ruthenian.

            Medve means 'bear' in Hungarian.
            Archaic digraph 'cz' is pron. ts in Hungarian, but the modern
            spelling is letter 'c'.
          • PHILBAER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
              Thanks to all who responded to my request for help!
              Judy & Dr. Joe Quashnock and Frank Kurchina - you folks are good; I now have info to open up my family history research to Slovakia. I'm so excited with this new information!
              Best regards,
              Philip (Medvecz)Baer
              Houston, TX