Village names /nicknames

  • deeellessbee
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 8, 2010
      Hello everyone. I wanted to introduce myself as a new member. My name is Debbie and I recently joined Slovak Roots since I have just found some information on my family back in the old country.

      I'm finding this discussion of village names/nicknames fascinating.

      Recently I was trying to find info on my Onda line. I was contacted through a message board by a man with the last name of Jusko, who told me of his great-grandfather and great-uncle. He had some confusion with this research because the great-uncle came over here as Andras Juszko, but his headstone in PA says Andrew Onda.

      He proceeded to tell me that the family used the name Onda-Juszko or Juszko-Onda, with one of the names being their "nickname" in their village. (I think off the top of my head that Onda was the nickname.)

      His grandfather ended up just using Jus(z)ko. His uncle Andras used Onda. Turns out Andras Juszko is my great-grandfather Andrew Onda! Thank goodness this man contacted me because I had never heard of this practice and was hitting a brick wall.

      I'm finally starting to grasp the concept of these nicknames, but I still don't quite understand "why". Yes, perhaps to distinguish between family members with the same name, but from what I'm reading here, the names were almost secretive or only known amongst people from the village. Why? And why not just nicknames for first names?

      This practice certainly makes research challenging!

      Debbie
    • treimer@nycap.rr.com
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 3 4:53 PM
        I used to correspond with Daniel Schlyter, to donate local histories that I did not need anylonger, but my computer crashed in 2006 and now again on January 4th. Who is in charge of acquisitions there now?

        Thanks

        Thomas