Another piece of the puzzle

  • koudelkadaniel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
      I found a naturalization document that had my Grandfather
      Albert Koudelka listed as arival from bremen 6-13-1906 I have not found him or his wife on any ships as of yet stevemorse site having issues tonight. also had him listed from Gastorf which i believe translates to Hoštka in Czech they should have been married in 1904 prior to immigration i found a post that said some parish registers in Prague
      might have marriage immigration and other info
      any idea if i can find it on line and would i need it to be translated
      Thanks Again to Ben,Michael,Anabeth,Helen,Tom and Caye and all for your help
      Happy New Year

      Daniel Koudelka
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
        Daniel,
        For those of us who have spent the last decade using "online resources" it is not unusual to find that what we hoped would be reveled wasn't.
        This is one of the frustrations of our online searches. We seem to have very good information that should produce a search of something of sustenance. All we get it page after page of "gobblygook".
        If you have the patience, it may take looking into the "teen" pages or beyond that you find something that you are looking for. Of course you wanted it in the first ten pages!
        That is where doing a search the "old fashion way" may result in information that is relevant and true to the search that you are doing. If you have been listening to our sites conversations you know that it has taken diligent searches that achieve the results. Every once in a while we do achieve a "miracle" and over the course of just a couple of days we have found a member their family tree. But for most of us it has taken hundreds of hours to put together the family trees we have. Enjoy when those miracles happen. But also remember that for a 1000 of our members it is a search that requires diligent research and many years.
        Ultimately our search is not about the facts that we can find. It is about how we as a member of a family have a history that spans hundreds, if not a thousand years. The end result is us. It is more than genetics. Because that is only biology. What makes us who we are is the result of how each generation contributed its humanity to the person that we are. And we are that genealogy that goes beyond the facts. We are the consequences of all those lives that proceeded us.
        Michael

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
          Hej Hej

          (I call them the Hej slovaks)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
            What makes us who we are is the result of how each generation contributed its humanity to the person that we are. And we are that genealogy that goes beyond the facts. We are the consequences of all those lives that proceeded us.

            Beautifully said Michael.

            helene

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
              And that is exactly why I cannot give up on my own search. Thank you
              for saying it in such a profound manner.

              Deborah