Re: [S-R] 1910 Census Austria-Bohemia any idea to reigon?

  • dulli862@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
      My grandparents ended up in West Islip, New York another pocket for Czech and Slovak immigrants. I have inlaws from Binghamton Helene. Phalens and Mincolas, do you know them?

      Basia

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
        Bill,

        I do not object to being a "Hunkie". As a matter of fact I think it is an
        honor to be called that as a way of acknowledging my heritage.

        Hunkie Frank

        _____

        From: koudelkadaniel <koudelkadaniel@ <mailto:koudelkadaniel%40yahoo.com>
        yahoo.com>
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, January 2, 2010, 12:20 AM

        My grand parents i found landed in the pilsen area in chicago

        from the Austria-Bohemia origins on the 1910 census would you think
        groups migrated together and settled in groups from same areas in Czech?

        Thanks

        Dan Koudelka

        Diet Help
        Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
        http://thirdpartyof
        <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=gejgIzqF18IlHek-YFYB-QAAJ1ABW
        V6bEHHuwwsDmZxHIOGaAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=>
        fers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=gejgIzqF18IlHek-YFYB-QAAJ1ABWV6bEHHuwwsDmZxHIOGaA
        AYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=

      • William F Brna
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
          Frank,

          My objection to be called "Hunky" is based on two things, my Slovak
          mother hated the Hungarians because she was forced to learn Hungarian. I
          guess that I learned to "hate" the Hungarians because she did.

          On a more personal basis, I formerly worked for a Fraternal Benefit
          Society in Pittsburgh. Because of the mismanagement of the company, it
          was merged into a Hungarian Fraternal Benefit Society called the "William
          Penn Association". I suppose they weren't anxious to trumpet their
          Hungarian heritage. About a year or so after the merger, I was let go
          with two weeks pay, because my position was a duplicate of one with the
          original Hungarian Society. I was kept on only to train my replacement
          in my company's procedures. The president of my original fraternal was
          kept on as an Executive VP. When my counterpart retired, I was re-hired!
          After two years or so, because of a change in upper management, I was
          again fired! I was replaced by a younger person that I helped train, at
          a higher salary. Needless to say, I filed a lawsuit because of age
          discrimination. I was offered $500 to settle out of court. I refused
          the offer and on the day that the trial was to begin, I was offered a
          settlement considerably more than $500. I accepted that offer. I am
          probably one of the very few individuals who was fired twice by the same
          company. That is the reason that I object to being called "Hunky". I am
          proud of my Slovak heritage and will not sully that heritage.

          I have spent sixteen weeks on six separate occasions in Slovakia. I have
          stayed with relatives and have been warmly accepted because I speak
          Slovak fluently. I was there for three weeks in August, 2009, and spoke
          only one single word of English. My cousin's granddaughter asked me for
          the English word for "okno".

          I have also traced my father's family back to the birth of the oldest son
          of two parents. The son was born in 1728. All I know of his parents is
          their names, but they probably go back to 1700 or so.

          If you are honored by being called "Hunky", that's your outlook. To me,
          "Hunky" is a pejorative word!

          Bill Brna, (Slovak and proud of it!)

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
            Hello
            Like Helene, I too have ties to Binghamton...I grew up there.
            I'm writing because there was a father [Monsignor] Phalen
            That ran the St. Catherine parish in the 50's and 60's. I almost hope he isn't related to you since he was the reason I lost my faith, or I should say my catholic faith. I have papers from the church, one even has a bio on Father Phalen that I can forward to you.
            To be fair...the first thing you probably think of with my animosity towards father Phalen is molestation, and no that wasn't the case, he was actually a very pious man.
            Larry Kocik
            You can email at lkocik@... if your interested in the lierature.

            ________________________________

            From: koudelkadaniel <koudelkadaniel@...>

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
              HI Basia,  I hope you get to Urkaine - there are a number of programs that might get you there.  The remote villages especially those in Carpathian Ukraine are magical.

              i didn't live in Binghamton only visited family there so sorry i don't know them.

              helene

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
                He's not in my family so sure, forward anything that I can put into family history....LOL Maybe he's even a distant cousin of my daughter's inlaws??? I'm so glad it wasn't molestation. Thank you for mentioning that since it was the first thing I thought of.

                Basia

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Dan, Pilsen (Chicago) was a very densely populated neighborhood.  In 1930, there were about 66,200 people, of whom 6,567 were Czech or Slovak.  It had the most Czechs of any neighborhood in Chicago then.  Readily available data would not indicate which village or town in CZ each person in Pilsen was from.  However, you could answer your question by looking at naturalization records which give the address of residence in Chicago and the town or origin.  Then you could look at the passenger ship manifests to see who the people traveled with.

                  The Community Area Factbook was published right after the 1920 and 1930 etc. federal censuses.  It gave a profile of the neighborhood, e.g. Pilsen, in say 1920 and compared it to the situation the prior decade, e.g. 1910.  About 1 or 2 pp. per neighborhood.  If you are in the Chicago area, you can find these books at university libraries.  If you are elsewhere, try requesting the books on interlibrary loan from your local public library.

                  Having examined the parish records from Sacred Heart Church (Huron and Oakley) in Chicago, it appears that the Slovaks in that neighborhood tended to be from the Turiec Valley before 1920.  But so far as I know, they did not migrate together.  They migrated in ones and twos, and then settled in this neighborhood.  Chains.  The neighborhood where they first lived, further east on Huron, is now underneath the Kennedy Expressway and does not exist.  Even the church building is now condos.

                  Pilsen is now a vibrant neighborhood, a port of entry for Mexicans since at least 1970.

                  Margo