Re: [S-R] 1910 Census Austria-Bohemia any idea to reigon?

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
      Tom,

      What you say is partially correct. While it is true that many were
      recruited as cheap labor, and that they were known as "Hunkies" (from
      Hungarian), it is not true that they would have been better off to have
      stayed in Slovakia. Conditions were very difficult and Slovaks, (even
      today), as a rule, went to other countries (not only the US) because it
      was difficult to find work in Slovakia. They did not work for the
      "Company Store", rather, they worked for the companies that owned the
      mines and steel mills. The company provided the "Company Store" in the
      "patches" where the miners, for example, lived and worked. Since the
      miners were usually paid in scrip (not cash), they could only patronize
      the Company Store, which accepted the scrip. My father, who was a
      woodworker in Slovakia, could not find enough work in his occupation so
      he first worked in the mines and later worked in a steel mill.

      While I, personally, object to being called a Hunky, this was no more nor
      less than the common names for other nationalities, e.g. Dagoes, Krauts,
      Johnny Bulls, etc.

      Bill Brna

      On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:48:32 -0600 "Tom Geiss" <tomfgurka@...>
      writes:

      And, from my reading of NOVELS, very frequently, they were "recruited' as
      cheap labor for the coal mines, or steel mills. where many of them were
      known as HUNKIES,??? From the lives that some of them led, I got the
      feeling that many of them would have been better off to have stayed in
      Slovakia. Life in the mines , working for the "Company Store" was
      anything but paradise. Tom
      From: koudelkadaniel <koudelkadaniel@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 2, 2010, 12:20 AM

      My grand parents i found landed in the pilsen area in chicago

      from the Austria-Bohemia origins on the 1910 census would you think
      groups migrated together and settled in groups from same areas in Czech?

      Thanks

      Dan Koudelka

    • Nancy Gibbs
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
        We've been told that our grandfather would not admit he was from Slovakia because he did not want to be called a "Hunkie".  He always told us he was born in PA.  But if him and grandma wanted to talk about something they didn't want the kids to hear, they spoke in Slovak.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
          Michael, your comments about Bridgeport, CT are very interesting. When
          I was looking at census records (before I joined this group and
          figured out how to really spell my grandfather John Clarchick's name!)
          I found a Janos Kolarcsik who emigrated to Bridgeport CT. Do you know
          if his name was on that list of donors? It turned out that wasn't
          "my" JK, but if Kolarcik is not a common name, I wonder if they were
          related at some point.

          Here's to a new year where the FHL pilot comes back on line soon!

          Elaine

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 2, 2010, at 11:06 AM, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
          wrote:

          > Dan,
          > I do not know if my story is typical. I found that from my paternal
          > ancestral village a great many of them went to Bridgeport,
          > Connecticut and many stayed. Thus I gave it the title of "Little
          > Hromos". This was demonstrated when the Mayor of Hromos showed me a
          > framed document from the 1920s. The Hromos church was in need of
          > repairs. So they made an appeal to Hromos immigrants. On this
          > document were some 40 people from Hromos who lived in Bridgeport
          > that had contributed to the building fund.
          > I think you will find that this is a pattern. Someone immigrates,
          > they write back home. Someone there decides to join him. Overtime
          > you can have a "snowball" affect that results in a story similar to
          > mine.
          > You may have heard of a style of beer, Pilsner. Named after the
          > Czech city where it was created. The name of the area in Chicago,
          > Pilsen, seems to be indicative as to where the people of the area
          > came from.

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
            Elaine,
            I will try to find that list for you.
            In the mean time here is what I have found about your surname spellings in the 1995 Slovak Census -
            There was no listings for Kolarcsik. The "s" is indicitive of a Hungarian spelling.
            The list below shows there are four ways to spell the name in Slovakia. Each with its own set of dialect marks.
            To read the list: 1st word - name of the place. 2nd if "okr." the following is the District the place is found in. If "obec" the place is an area within a city. 3rd if "odr. then a year, what the District was called before that year. 4th the number of listings of the name found in that place. Notice that the majority of the places are in the District of Presov. And all but one place (Bratislava) are all far eastern Districts. No listing for Hromos. The nearest town to Hromos on the list is Sabinov. Usually the Census helps narrow down the area to search for a surname. Unfortunately, this list does not do that. But it does give you places you know where the surname can be found now.
            Priezvisko KOLÁRČIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 10×, celkový počet lokalít: 4, v lokalitách:
            SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 4×;
            DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 3×;
            OSTROVANY, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 2×;
            RYBÁRE (obec SLIAČ), okr. ZVOLEN – 1×;

            Priezvisko KOLARČÍK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 108×, celkový počet lokalít: 25, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
            PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 22×;
            SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 11×;
            SABINOV, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 10×;
            LASTOVCE, okr. TREBIŠOV – 7×;
            OSTROVANY, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 6×;
            HERMANOVCE, okr. PREŠOV – 5×;
            JAROVNICE, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 5×;
            DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 5×;
            RAŽŇANY, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 4×;
            SOLIVAR (obec PREŠOV), okr. PREŠOV – 4×;
            Priezvisko KOLÁRČÍK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 2×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
            SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 2×;

            Priezvisko KOLARČIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 36×, celkový počet lokalít: 19, v lokalitách:
            PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 6×;
            HERMANOVCE, okr. PREŠOV – 5×;
            HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 3×;
            JAROVNICE, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 3×;
            ŠARIŠSKÉ MICHAĽANY, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 2×;
            HRAŇ, okr. TREBIŠOV – 2×;
            OSTROVANY, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 2×;
            TREBIŠOV, okr. TREBIŠOV – 2×;
            ŠTEFANOVCE, okr. PREŠOV – 1×;
            CHMINIANSKA NOVÁ VES, okr. PREŠOV – 1×;
            GELNICA, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) – 1×;
            HANUŠOVCE NAD TOPĽOU, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 1×;
            LIPTOVSKÁ TEPLIČKA, okr. POPRAD – 1×;
            NIŽNÁ ŠEBASTOVÁ (obec PREŠOV), okr. PREŠOV – 1×;
            SABINOV, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 1×;
            SEDLICE, okr. PREŠOV – 1×;
            SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 1×;
            PETRŽALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;
            DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 1×;

            wrote:

            > Dan,
            > I do not know if my story is typical. I found that from my paternal
            > ancestral village a great many of them went to Bridgeport,
            > Connecticut and many stayed. Thus I gave it the title of "Little
            > Hromos". This was demonstrated when the Mayor of Hromos showed me a
            > framed document from the 1920s. The Hromos church was in need of
            > repairs. So they made an appeal to Hromos immigrants. On this
            > document were some 40 people from Hromos who lived in Bridgeport
            > that had contributed to the building fund.
            > I think you will find that this is a pattern. Someone immigrates,
            > they write back home. Someone there decides to join him. Overtime
            > you can have a "snowball" affect that results in a story similar to
            > mine.
            > You may have heard of a style of beer, Pilsner. Named after the
            > Czech city where it was created. The name of the area in Chicago,
            > Pilsen, seems to be indicative as to where the people of the area
            > came from.

          • deeellessbee
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
              I am brand new to this forum (just joined yesterday!) and while I was planning on writing a intro post, this thread caught my eye because of the reference to Bridgeport. I was born and raised in Bridgeport, and my family has lived there for a long time. Before my time, there was a section of Bridgeport called Hunktown. While I always cringed somewhat when I heard the older generation refer to the area, I knew several people of Hungarian background, and it was actually a point of pride for them to say that they were born in or lived in Hunktown.

              Looking forward to learning a lot from this group!
              Debbie

            • dulli862@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
                My grandparents ended up in West Islip, New York another pocket for Czech and Slovak immigrants. I have inlaws from Binghamton Helene. Phalens and Mincolas, do you know them?

                Basia

                hi Dan - when my grandfather was 90 I asked him if he got lonesome in America as his family was in the old country. He replied "half the village was here!" This was in the Binghamton NY area - that ol' chain migration. Powerful. People came to places they had friends or had heard about and then worked and encouraged others to join them and helped them get a start.

                helene

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
                  Bill,

                  I do not object to being a "Hunkie". As a matter of fact I think it is an
                  honor to be called that as a way of acknowledging my heritage.

                  Hunkie Frank

                  _____

[...]

                  On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:48:32 -0600 "Tom Geiss" <tomfgurka@gvtc.
                  <mailto:tomfgurka%40gvtc.com> com>

                  From: koudelkadaniel <koudelkadaniel@ <mailto:koudelkadaniel%40yahoo.com>
                  yahoo.com>
                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Saturday, January 2, 2010, 12:20 AM

                  My grand parents i found landed in the pilsen area in chicago

                  from the Austria-Bohemia origins on the 1910 census would you think
                  groups migrated together and settled in groups from same areas in Czech?

                  Thanks

                  Dan Koudelka

                  Diet Help
                  Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
                  http://thirdpartyof
                  <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=gejgIzqF18IlHek-YFYB-QAAJ1ABW
                  V6bEHHuwwsDmZxHIOGaAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
                    Frank,

                    My objection to be called "Hunky" is based on two things, my Slovak
                    mother hated the Hungarians because she was forced to learn Hungarian. I
                    guess that I learned to "hate" the Hungarians because she did.

                    On a more personal basis, I formerly worked for a Fraternal Benefit
                    Society in Pittsburgh. Because of the mismanagement of the company, it
                    was merged into a Hungarian Fraternal Benefit Society called the "William
                    Penn Association". I suppose they weren't anxious to trumpet their
                    Hungarian heritage. About a year or so after the merger, I was let go
                    with two weeks pay, because my position was a duplicate of one with the
                    original Hungarian Society. I was kept on only to train my replacement
                    in my company's procedures. The president of my original fraternal was
                    kept on as an Executive VP. When my counterpart retired, I was re-hired!
                    After two years or so, because of a change in upper management, I was
                    again fired! I was replaced by a younger person that I helped train, at
                    a higher salary. Needless to say, I filed a lawsuit because of age
                    discrimination. I was offered $500 to settle out of court. I refused
                    the offer and on the day that the trial was to begin, I was offered a
                    settlement considerably more than $500. I accepted that offer. I am
                    probably one of the very few individuals who was fired twice by the same
                    company. That is the reason that I object to being called "Hunky". I am
                    proud of my Slovak heritage and will not sully that heritage.

                    I have spent sixteen weeks on six separate occasions in Slovakia. I have
                    stayed with relatives and have been warmly accepted because I speak
                    Slovak fluently. I was there for three weeks in August, 2009, and spoke
                    only one single word of English. My cousin's granddaughter asked me for
                    the English word for "okno".

                    I have also traced my father's family back to the birth of the oldest son
                    of two parents. The son was born in 1728. All I know of his parents is
                    their names, but they probably go back to 1700 or so.

                    If you are honored by being called "Hunky", that's your outlook. To me,
                    "Hunky" is a pejorative word!

                    Bill Brna, (Slovak and proud of it!)

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Hello
                      Like Helene, I too have ties to Binghamton...I grew up there.
                      I'm writing because there was a father [Monsignor] Phalen
                      That ran the St. Catherine parish in the 50's and 60's. I almost hope he isn't related to you since he was the reason I lost my faith, or I should say my catholic faith. I have papers from the church, one even has a bio on Father Phalen that I can forward to you.
                      To be fair...the first thing you probably think of with my animosity towards father Phalen is molestation, and no that wasn't the case, he was actually a very pious man.
                      Larry Kocik
                      You can email at lkocik@... if your interested in the lierature.

                      From: koudelkadaniel <koudelkadaniel@...>

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
                        HI Basia,  I hope you get to Urkaine - there are a number of programs that might get you there.  The remote villages especially those in Carpathian Ukraine are magical.

                        i didn't live in Binghamton only visited family there so sorry i don't know them.

                        helene

                        ________________________________

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
                          He's not in my family so sure, forward anything that I can put into family history....LOL Maybe he's even a distant cousin of my daughter's inlaws??? I'm so glad it wasn't molestation. Thank you for mentioning that since it was the first thing I thought of.

                          Basia

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                            Dan, Pilsen (Chicago) was a very densely populated neighborhood.  In 1930, there were about 66,200 people, of whom 6,567 were Czech or Slovak.  It had the most Czechs of any neighborhood in Chicago then.  Readily available data would not indicate which village or town in CZ each person in Pilsen was from.  However, you could answer your question by looking at naturalization records which give the address of residence in Chicago and the town or origin.  Then you could look at the passenger ship manifests to see who the people traveled with.

                            The Community Area Factbook was published right after the 1920 and 1930 etc. federal censuses.  It gave a profile of the neighborhood, e.g. Pilsen, in say 1920 and compared it to the situation the prior decade, e.g. 1910.  About 1 or 2 pp. per neighborhood.  If you are in the Chicago area, you can find these books at university libraries.  If you are elsewhere, try requesting the books on interlibrary loan from your local public library.

                            Having examined the parish records from Sacred Heart Church (Huron and Oakley) in Chicago, it appears that the Slovaks in that neighborhood tended to be from the Turiec Valley before 1920.  But so far as I know, they did not migrate together.  They migrated in ones and twos, and then settled in this neighborhood.  Chains.  The neighborhood where they first lived, further east on Huron, is now underneath the Kennedy Expressway and does not exist.  Even the church building is now condos.

                            Pilsen is now a vibrant neighborhood, a port of entry for Mexicans since at least 1970.

                            Margo