Re: [S-R] Ellis Island Records--brick wall

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
      Dear Judy:

      What are the other names in your lineage? My family also comes from
      Vitaz, Ovcie, Dolina, Siroke, and other neighboring villages. Below are the
      surnames in my direct lineage.

      I wish you and everyone else a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New
      Year!

      Best regards,

      David Baloga

      Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
      HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS,
      ONDERCIN, RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
      County (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
      SPISSKE VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
      HRHOV, STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
      BRZOTIN, and surrounding area)

    • Judy G
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
        My mother's maiden name is Janosik. Her grandfather was the immigrant. These Janosiks were from what is now Chminianska Nova Ves, but my great-grandfather Janosik moved over to Vitaz when a Janosik female (I forget whether it was his sister or his daughter) married a Straka from Vitaz. (They were all in the same Lutheran church.) My great-grandmother was an Olsovsky (that's how it ended up getting spelled in this country, but I have seen it Olshafsky and various other ways).

        I have a couple of generations back on both these lines but would have to get my papers out (which are not handy at the moment). I know there is a Rothman a couple of generations back.

        None of your names look familiar, though. Funny you can have such a small village and that can happen (though, my direct line were new arrivals in Vitaz, but not from THAT far away!).

        I went to school with a Balogh. His parents had come from Budapest in 1956.

        Best wishes for the new year! Judy Goss

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
          Dear Judy:

          Hello! Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I am familiar with the
          JANOSIK surname. The godfather of my great, great grandfather JAN JURASKO who
          was born in the nearby village of Richnava in 1825 is an ANDREAS JANOSIK.
          He was also the godfather to two of my great, great grandfather's
          siblings. I haven't been able to trace another farther back (pre-1820 records)
          yet, but from what I have seen in my other lines, the godparents were usually
          related in some way.

          It is good to see another Sarisan (from Saris county). I wish you and
          your family a very Happy New Year!

          Best regards,

          David

        • christine mackara