Re: Pay Search Engines & World Vital Records

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
      I was just playing with the free access (offered for a few days only)
      at World Vital Records, while working on a New England genealogy going
      back to the 1600s. I did find it quite useful, maybe because my
      client is descended from / related to a ridiculous number of prominent
      New Englanders, including a US president and Benjamin Franklin. It was
      a good complement (but with some overlap) to the databases at
      NewEnglandAncestors.org (access to databases there is for members
      only). But I don't think I'd have found much for my own family at
      World Vital Records, especially the Slovak side.

      Re: Ancestry.com: the Library edition has some international records
      access, which comes in handy when I'm working on a French-Canadian
      line. Access to Ancestry at a library is definitely a good option if
      you don't want (or can't afford) a subscription. But you cannot "save
      to shoebox" or keep track of your searches. So even tho' I myself
      have free access to the library edition from my home computer because
      of my job, I keep my paid subscription (plus the job is only semester-
      by-semester). As for the cost, it's relative: most of us probably
      spend more per year on hobbies and addictions than an Ancestry
      subscription costs (eg Starbucks, cigarettes, collectibles, etc); we
      just spend the $ a few bucks at a time rather than paying for a year's
      "subscription" to our local coffee shop. Also, I do genealogical
      research for other people, so I'm using Ancestry a LOT more than when
      I was doing only my own family research. And they add more records
      every year. So you have to weigh all those factors, to decide if it's
      worth it for you.

      Also, don't forget about stevemorse.org; I seem to get more from some
      Ancestry searches when I use Steve Morse's search engines.

      Don't overlook google books searches for your family research
      (books.google.com); I've found a number of town and congregational
      histories there as well as published genealogies, and not just for New
      England. And the cost is free.

      Sorry this is so rambling. Hope it helps you sort out whether the
      cost of a subscription is worth it to you, for your research needs.

      Happy New Year to all! And please note, that we have a Blue Moon on
      New Year's Eve: I'm desperately trying to remember what things I do
      only once in a blue moon, 'cause tonight's the night....

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:10 PM, koudelkadaniel wrote:

      > I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
      > it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i
      > try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have
      > found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
      > Thanks again
    • Margaret Hicks
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
        On ancestry.com I have found more information about my Slovak and other families than I have ever before. My intent was to join for one year and work in it every day and it has paid for itself many times over.

        Margaret