Re: Ellis Island Records--brick wall has fallen

  • JOHN
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
      >>> With all the talk about brick walls on passenger lists, I thought I would add my "brick wall" and see if anyone else has any good fortune.
      My ggrandfather's name on the Kendice marriage record (1892) is GABOR SZTRAKA. <<<

      There's enough information in the RC church records and 1869 Hungarian Census to keep you going for all of 2011. Happy New Year.

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Župèany, Slovakia, formerly Zsebfalu, Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated town of Malý Šariš, Slovakia, formerly Kis-Sáros, Sáros, Hungary.

      FHL INTL Film 1920557 Items 2 - 5
      Inv. è. 1568
      Krsty 1767-1827 -- Úmrtia 1767-1827 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1767-1827
      Inv. è. 1569
      Krsty 1814-1854 -- Úmrtia 1814-1854 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1814-1854 -- Birmovaní 1836 -- Birmovaní 1841 -- Inv. è. 1570
      Krsty 1855-1891 -- Úmrtia 1855-1896-- Uzavreté manželstvá 1855-1896 -- Inv. è. 1571 Krsty 1892-1896 (Malý Šariš)

      FHL INTL Film 1920557 Items 6 - 8
      Inv. è. 1572
      Krsty 1767-1814 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1768-1814 -- Úmrtia 1767-1814
      Inv. è. 1573
      Druhopisy krstov 1860-1864
      Inv. è. 1574
      Druhopisy: Krsty 1864-1895 -- Uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1860-1895

      1869 Hungarian Census
      Zsebfalu (Župèany) Film # 2189248 Item 2

      Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kendice, Slovakia, formerly Kende (or Kendice), Sáros, Hungary.

      FHL INTL Film 1792753 Items 2 - 6
      Inv. è. 425
      Krsty 1789-1830 -- Konvertiti 1789-1823 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1789-1830 -- Úmrtia 1789-1830
      Inv. è. 426
      Krsty 1831-1852 -- Birmovaní 1851, 1858 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1831-1852
      Inv. è. 427
      Krsty 1853-1882 -- Úmrtia 1853-1882 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1853-1895
      Inv. è. 428
      Úmrtia 1883-1896
      Inv. è. 429
      Druhopisy krstov, uzavretých manželstiev, úmrtí 1860-1876

      FHL INTL Film 1792754 Item 1
      Inv. è. 429 (cont.)
      Druhopisy krstov 1876-1895
      Uzavreté manželstvá 1863-1895
      Úmrtia 1863-1895

      1869 Hungarian Census
      Kende (Kendice) Film #2162305 Item 5
      (cont.) Kende (Kendice) Film #2162306 Item 1

      TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
      Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.

      Here's hoping that these church records will be back on line soon.
    • JOHN
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
        >>> Inv. è. 425 <<<

        On my screen, the accented c appears as an accented e, per above example. Your experience may differ.
      • Judy G
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
          Strakas in my family came from Nagyvitez, now Vitaz, Saros. Actually, they are cousins so I don't know much about the ancestry except that the father or grandfather of the Straka who came to this country (Bridgeport, CT area - 1880) was listed in the Lutheran records as free. I still don't know the full implications of that.

          Judy in Connecticut

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
            Dear Judy:

            What are the other names in your lineage? My family also comes from
            Vitaz, Ovcie, Dolina, Siroke, and other neighboring villages. Below are the
            surnames in my direct lineage.

            I wish you and everyone else a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New
            Year!

            Best regards,

            David Baloga

            Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
            HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS,
            ONDERCIN, RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
            County (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
            SPISSKE VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
            HRHOV, STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
            BRZOTIN, and surrounding area)

          • Judy G
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
              My mother's maiden name is Janosik. Her grandfather was the immigrant. These Janosiks were from what is now Chminianska Nova Ves, but my great-grandfather Janosik moved over to Vitaz when a Janosik female (I forget whether it was his sister or his daughter) married a Straka from Vitaz. (They were all in the same Lutheran church.) My great-grandmother was an Olsovsky (that's how it ended up getting spelled in this country, but I have seen it Olshafsky and various other ways).

              I have a couple of generations back on both these lines but would have to get my papers out (which are not handy at the moment). I know there is a Rothman a couple of generations back.

              None of your names look familiar, though. Funny you can have such a small village and that can happen (though, my direct line were new arrivals in Vitaz, but not from THAT far away!).

              I went to school with a Balogh. His parents had come from Budapest in 1956.

              Best wishes for the new year! Judy Goss

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                Dear Judy:

                Hello! Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I am familiar with the
                JANOSIK surname. The godfather of my great, great grandfather JAN JURASKO who
                was born in the nearby village of Richnava in 1825 is an ANDREAS JANOSIK.
                He was also the godfather to two of my great, great grandfather's
                siblings. I haven't been able to trace another farther back (pre-1820 records)
                yet, but from what I have seen in my other lines, the godparents were usually
                related in some way.

                It is good to see another Sarisan (from Saris county). I wish you and
                your family a very Happy New Year!

                Best regards,

                David

              • christine mackara