Why family history is so hard...

  • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hey all,
      I thought I would give you some insight on why records are hard to track. We all know about handwriting challenges and language problems- and we all bicker about incongruent information in records. Well, here is a real life story...

      My son Adamko was just born monday. Yesterday we were preparing the birth certificate, and keep in mind that Milka is a native Slovak- in fact everyone in the family are dual citizens. WELL, Misha's place of birth was labled "Europe." When I asked if they wanted the country, they looked at me as if I had lobsters coming out of my ears and said "what do you mean? We have the country. Europe." They were surprised that it is a continent, and that France, England, and Slovakia were sovereign countries. I got it corrected, but this is not substandard practice here or elsewhere. (In Slovakia, while getting ready for my wedding, someone at the local office accused me of lying about my dad's birthplace- because, as we all know, New York is not a state, but the capital city of London! See, Americans aren't the only nationality that slept through geography. )
      These are modern experiences. And human nature being what it is, I am sure that it has been going n for a while. Imagine all the times that people didn't catch these things... And now we can see why genealogy is so hard.
      Take care and PF 2010!
      Ben
    • MEMcDTT@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009