Re: [S-R] Mac Family Tree Maker

  • Gordon Grening
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2009
      I am using the Microsoft 2006 version of Family Tree Maker. It uses Ancestry.com as its search engine. The search returns possible matches on the various Ancestry databases. However, you have to have a paid subscription to Ancestry to view some of the records, i.e. census records. Don't know if they made any changes in the search function in the 2010 version which was recently released.

      Personally I find using the Family Tree Maker search function to broad. It returns to many hits. I generally logon to Ancestry.com and use their search functions which allows me to enter more precise filter criteria and specify which database I want to search.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
        Deb,
        I am now using a Mac and I find it hard to make the change from the PC. I have Reunion 9 nd I'm just starting to use it but it can't compare to Family Tree Maker 09, in my opinion. Maybe that's just because I am used to a PC for research but I wanted to say I agree with you. I have been with Ancestry for a long time so I don't know about the 2010 version. The biggest frustration for me is the confusion of uploading and downloading Gedcoms. I lose the ones I want to keep and then I find all these files in my program that I don't want. You're probably saying how do you lose a GEDCOM?? I can do it quite nicely!
        Even in Ancestry, I can do a precise search and if I keep looking over the records, forwarding through the pages, I might find what I'm looking for 20 pages into the surname. It is frustrating that the info doesn't come right up the first time.

        Basia

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Grening" <gordongrening@...> wrote:

        > I am using the Microsoft 2006 version of Family Tree Maker. It uses Ancestry.com as its search engine. The search returns possible matches on the various Ancestry databases. However, you have to have a paid subscription to Ancestry to view some of the records, i.e. census records. Don't know if they made any changes in the search function in the 2010 version which was recently released.
        >
        > Personally I find using the Family Tree Maker search function to broad. It returns to many hits. I generally logon to Ancestry.com and use their search functions which allows me to enter more precise filter criteria and specify which database I want to search.

      • Deborah L Jackson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hi Basia,

          I was reading your reply and something didn't seem right. So I went
          back to look up MacFamily Tree and this one id not related to Family
          Tree Maker of Ancestry.com. It is put out be Synium software and is
          only for the Mac.

          This is what the intro says for "MacFamily Tree 5":

          "Intuitive visualization
          MacFamilyTree is a modern and highly popular genealogy application.
          With MacFamilyTree users can create family trees and display them in
          multiple ways. MacFamily helps you to generate vivid views and
          diagrams: Ancestor and Fan Charts, Virtual Tree and Virtual Globe
          complement Statistics and Timeline for analysis. New: A huge Internet-
          based library of geographic places provides MacFamilyTree with over
          1.5 million names and coordinates for locations worldwide."

          It looks really good, but I wish I could get more feedback before I
          buy it. I tried the demo, but of course they don't let you save
          anything, so I couldn't get a really good feel for it's full capacity,
          although I did think it was extremely easy to use.

          The nice thing about using a Mac is that if you download Delicious,
          you can instantly bookmark you the page on the delicious site with
          tags and it makes it a lot harder too lose.

          I am also an expert at losing Gedcoms and a lot of other things LOLOL.

          On Jan 1, 2010, at 11:07 PM, __A_YAHOO_USER__ wrote:

          > Deb,
          > I am now using a Mac and I find it hard to make the change from the
          > PC. I have Reunion 9 nd I'm just starting to use it but it can't
          > compare to Family Tree Maker 09, in my opinion. Maybe that's just
          > because I am used to a PC for research but I wanted to say I agree
          > with you. I have been with Ancestry for a long time so I don't know
          > about the 2010 version. The biggest frustration for me is the
          > confusion of uploading and downloading . I lose the ones I want to
          > keep and then I find all these files in my program that I don't
          > want. You're probably saying how do you lose a ?? I can do it quite
          > nicely!
          > Even in Ancestry, I can do a precise search and if I keep looking
          > over the records, forwarding through the pages, I might find what
          > I'm looking for 20 pages into the surname. It is frustrating that
          > the info doesn't come right up the first time.
          >
          > Basia

        • Paul Guzowski
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
            Greetings and Stastny Novy Rok!

            Regarding losing GEDCOM files on the MAC, probably the hardest thing a
            former Windows user has to tackle when transitioning to the MAC OS is
            understanding the file structure. The MAC OS (indeed any
            Unix/Linux-based OS) does not have drive letters... That's right, no C:
            drive, etc. What Windows calls drives are referenced as folders on the
            MAC. Unlike Windows, the user space (called /home) is in a separate
            partition from the operating system and files are normally saved in the
            individual user's account space. It is possible with most applications
            to say you want to be prompted where to save things rather than
            automatically saving them somewhere but you have to look for this
            option.

            Hope this helps clear up a bit of the mystery and helps folks find
            orphaned GEDCOM files.

            Paul in NW FL