Re: [S-R] Ellis Island Records--brick wall

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2009
      In the 1995 Census Straka is a very common name. There were 2209 listing in 424 places. The #1 city with 81 listings was Presov. Then there were three other towns in Presov District that had 32+ listings.

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
        Nancy,
        I found Gabriel Sztraka's wife Maria's immigration record in 1902. She came with her son Janos and daughter Anna. She is listed as Maria Tulej Sztraka and she is going to be with her husband Gabr. Tulej Straka living in Windber PA. She is coming from Ysebfalva or possibly Lsebfalva (I can't make it out). I did try to find this village around Kendice (previously Kende, Hungary) but I didn't find anything close. Do you have any idea what the name of this village was? If you do, you can then do a search of the immigrations from this village and maybe find Gabriel's record. Let me know if you would like Maria's immigration record.
        Carl K

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...> wrote:

        > With all the talk about brick walls on passenger lists, I thought I would add my "brick wall" and see if anyone else has any good fortune.
        >
        > My ggrandfather's name on the Kendice marriage record (1892) is GABOR SZTRAKA.  I find him on the 1900 Federal Census living with his brother's family in Somerset County, Paint Township, PA--
        > John Straka--brother (Head of household), age 29, year of immigration 1895
        > Gabriel Straka--age 32, year of immigration 1900
        > Bertha Straka (sister to John & Gabriel)--age 19, year of immigration 1895
        >
        > I have not been able to find any of these on a passenger list but I am mostly interested in Gabriel.
        > Thanks for any and all help.
        > Nancy

      • Carl
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
          Nancy,
          I found Gabor's immigration record. He is listed on ancestry as "Turre Sztraka". But if you go to the record, you will see that it Gubor Tulej Sztraka. One brick wall crumbles! Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send it to you.
          Carl K.
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@...> wrote:

          > Nancy,
          > I found Gabriel Sztraka's wife Maria's immigration record in 1902. She came with her son Janos and daughter Anna. She is listed as Maria Tulej Sztraka and she is going to be with her husband Gabr. Tulej Straka living in Windber PA. She is coming from Ysebfalva or possibly Lsebfalva (I can't make it out). I did try to find this village around Kendice (previously Kende, Hungary) but I didn't find anything close. Do you have any idea what the name of this village was? If you do, you can then do a search of the immigrations from this village and maybe find Gabriel's record. Let me know if you would like Maria's immigration record.
          > Carl K
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@> wrote:
          > >
          > > With all the talk about brick walls on passenger lists, I thought I would add my "brick wall" and see if anyone else has any good fortune.
          > >
          > > My ggrandfather's name on the Kendice marriage record (1892) is GABOR SZTRAKA.  I find him on the 1900 Federal Census living with his brother's family in Somerset County, Paint Township, PA--
          > > John Straka--brother (Head of household), age 29, year of immigration 1895
          > > Gabriel Straka--age 32, year of immigration 1900
          > > Bertha Straka (sister to John & Gabriel)--age 19, year of immigration 1895
          > >
          > > I have not been able to find any of these on a passenger list but I am mostly interested in Gabriel.
          > > Thanks for any and all help.
          > > Nancy

        • JOHN
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
            >>> I found Gabriel Sztraka's wife Maria's immigration record in 1902. She came with her son Janos and daughter Anna. . . . Ysebfalva or possibly Lsebfalva (I can't make it out). I did try to find this village around Kendice (previously Kende, Hungary) but I didn't find anything close. <<<

            Zsebfalu, Saros Megye now Župc'any, Slovakia located 7 km west of Presov. Kendice is 8 km south of Presov.

            Whatta team!
          • JOHN
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
              >>> With all the talk about brick walls on passenger lists, I thought I would add my "brick wall" and see if anyone else has any good fortune.
              My ggrandfather's name on the Kendice marriage record (1892) is GABOR SZTRAKA. <<<

              There's enough information in the RC church records and 1869 Hungarian Census to keep you going for all of 2011. Happy New Year.

              LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Župèany, Slovakia, formerly Zsebfalu, Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated town of Malý Šariš, Slovakia, formerly Kis-Sáros, Sáros, Hungary.

              FHL INTL Film 1920557 Items 2 - 5
              Inv. è. 1568
              Krsty 1767-1827 -- Úmrtia 1767-1827 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1767-1827
              Inv. è. 1569
              Krsty 1814-1854 -- Úmrtia 1814-1854 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1814-1854 -- Birmovaní 1836 -- Birmovaní 1841 -- Inv. è. 1570
              Krsty 1855-1891 -- Úmrtia 1855-1896-- Uzavreté manželstvá 1855-1896 -- Inv. è. 1571 Krsty 1892-1896 (Malý Šariš)

              FHL INTL Film 1920557 Items 6 - 8
              Inv. è. 1572
              Krsty 1767-1814 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1768-1814 -- Úmrtia 1767-1814
              Inv. è. 1573
              Druhopisy krstov 1860-1864
              Inv. è. 1574
              Druhopisy: Krsty 1864-1895 -- Uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1860-1895

              1869 Hungarian Census
              Zsebfalu (Župèany) Film # 2189248 Item 2

              Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kendice, Slovakia, formerly Kende (or Kendice), Sáros, Hungary.

              FHL INTL Film 1792753 Items 2 - 6
              Inv. è. 425
              Krsty 1789-1830 -- Konvertiti 1789-1823 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1789-1830 -- Úmrtia 1789-1830
              Inv. è. 426
              Krsty 1831-1852 -- Birmovaní 1851, 1858 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1831-1852
              Inv. è. 427
              Krsty 1853-1882 -- Úmrtia 1853-1882 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1853-1895
              Inv. è. 428
              Úmrtia 1883-1896
              Inv. è. 429
              Druhopisy krstov, uzavretých manželstiev, úmrtí 1860-1876

              FHL INTL Film 1792754 Item 1
              Inv. è. 429 (cont.)
              Druhopisy krstov 1876-1895
              Uzavreté manželstvá 1863-1895
              Úmrtia 1863-1895

              1869 Hungarian Census
              Kende (Kendice) Film #2162305 Item 5
              (cont.) Kende (Kendice) Film #2162306 Item 1

              TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
              Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.

              Here's hoping that these church records will be back on line soon.
            • JOHN
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
                >>> Inv. è. 425 <<<

                On my screen, the accented c appears as an accented e, per above example. Your experience may differ.
              • Judy G
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                  Strakas in my family came from Nagyvitez, now Vitaz, Saros. Actually, they are cousins so I don't know much about the ancestry except that the father or grandfather of the Straka who came to this country (Bridgeport, CT area - 1880) was listed in the Lutheran records as free. I still don't know the full implications of that.

                  Judy in Connecticut

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                    Dear Judy:

                    What are the other names in your lineage? My family also comes from
                    Vitaz, Ovcie, Dolina, Siroke, and other neighboring villages. Below are the
                    surnames in my direct lineage.

                    I wish you and everyone else a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New
                    Year!

                    Best regards,

                    David Baloga

                    Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
                    HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS,
                    ONDERCIN, RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
                    County (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
                    SPISSKE VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
                    HRHOV, STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
                    BRZOTIN, and surrounding area)

                  • Judy G
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                      My mother's maiden name is Janosik. Her grandfather was the immigrant. These Janosiks were from what is now Chminianska Nova Ves, but my great-grandfather Janosik moved over to Vitaz when a Janosik female (I forget whether it was his sister or his daughter) married a Straka from Vitaz. (They were all in the same Lutheran church.) My great-grandmother was an Olsovsky (that's how it ended up getting spelled in this country, but I have seen it Olshafsky and various other ways).

                      I have a couple of generations back on both these lines but would have to get my papers out (which are not handy at the moment). I know there is a Rothman a couple of generations back.

                      None of your names look familiar, though. Funny you can have such a small village and that can happen (though, my direct line were new arrivals in Vitaz, but not from THAT far away!).

                      I went to school with a Balogh. His parents had come from Budapest in 1956.

                      Best wishes for the new year! Judy Goss

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                        Dear Judy:

                        Hello! Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I am familiar with the
                        JANOSIK surname. The godfather of my great, great grandfather JAN JURASKO who
                        was born in the nearby village of Richnava in 1825 is an ANDREAS JANOSIK.
                        He was also the godfather to two of my great, great grandfather's
                        siblings. I haven't been able to trace another farther back (pre-1820 records)
                        yet, but from what I have seen in my other lines, the godparents were usually
                        related in some way.

                        It is good to see another Sarisan (from Saris county). I wish you and
                        your family a very Happy New Year!

                        Best regards,

                        David

                      • christine mackara