Re: [S-R] Pay Search Engines

  • MaryLou
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
      STANDARD PRICING
      U.S. DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
      Annual
      $155.40
      Quarterly
      $50.85
      Monthly
      $19.95
      WORLD DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
      Annual
      $299.40
      Quarterly
      $83.85
      Monthly
      $29.95
      These are standard prices as of August 2007 and are subject to change.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
        I was just playing with the free access (offered for a few days only)
        at World Vital Records, while working on a New England genealogy going
        back to the 1600s. I did find it quite useful, maybe because my
        client is descended from / related to a ridiculous number of prominent
        New Englanders, including a US president and Benjamin Franklin. It was
        a good complement (but with some overlap) to the databases at
        NewEnglandAncestors.org (access to databases there is for members
        only). But I don't think I'd have found much for my own family at
        World Vital Records, especially the Slovak side.

        Re: Ancestry.com: the Library edition has some international records
        access, which comes in handy when I'm working on a French-Canadian
        line. Access to Ancestry at a library is definitely a good option if
        you don't want (or can't afford) a subscription. But you cannot "save
        to shoebox" or keep track of your searches. So even tho' I myself
        have free access to the library edition from my home computer because
        of my job, I keep my paid subscription (plus the job is only semester-
        by-semester). As for the cost, it's relative: most of us probably
        spend more per year on hobbies and addictions than an Ancestry
        subscription costs (eg Starbucks, cigarettes, collectibles, etc); we
        just spend the $ a few bucks at a time rather than paying for a year's
        "subscription" to our local coffee shop. Also, I do genealogical
        research for other people, so I'm using Ancestry a LOT more than when
        I was doing only my own family research. And they add more records
        every year. So you have to weigh all those factors, to decide if it's
        worth it for you.

        Also, don't forget about stevemorse.org; I seem to get more from some
        Ancestry searches when I use Steve Morse's search engines.

        Don't overlook google books searches for your family research
        (books.google.com); I've found a number of town and congregational
        histories there as well as published genealogies, and not just for New
        England. And the cost is free.

        Sorry this is so rambling. Hope it helps you sort out whether the
        cost of a subscription is worth it to you, for your research needs.

        Happy New Year to all! And please note, that we have a Blue Moon on
        New Year's Eve: I'm desperately trying to remember what things I do
        only once in a blue moon, 'cause tonight's the night....

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...

        On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:10 PM, koudelkadaniel wrote:

        > I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
        > it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i
        > try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have
        > found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
        > Thanks again
      • Margaret Hicks
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
          On ancestry.com I have found more information about my Slovak and other families than I have ever before. My intent was to join for one year and work in it every day and it has paid for itself many times over.

          Margaret