Re: [S-R] Pay Search Engines

  • MaryLou
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
      I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library that has
      a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have to pay
      $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full one. I
      have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me to do my
      initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.

      MaryLou

      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 9:58 PM

      In my humble opinion -- Ancestry is VERY expensive -- and you ALREADY pay
      for it via your taxes -- granting you FREE access at your library -- or a
      reciprocal one nearby -- so, why pay for it twice?
      It does have some good data, but it will suck your $$$$$ if you let it.

      Caye

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
        What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
        subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
        data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
        with dozens of links to various databases.

        Elaine

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
          STANDARD PRICING
          U.S. DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
          Annual
          $155.40
          Quarterly
          $50.85
          Monthly
          $19.95
          WORLD DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
          Annual
          $299.40
          Quarterly
          $83.85
          Monthly
          $29.95
          These are standard prices as of August 2007 and are subject to change.

          What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
          subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
          data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
          with dozens of links to various databases.

          Elaine

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Dec 30, 2009, at 4:03 PM, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

          > I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library
          > that has
          > a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have
          > to pay
          > $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full
          > one. I
          > have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me
          > to do my
          > initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.
          >
          > MaryLou

        • Julie Michutka
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
            I was just playing with the free access (offered for a few days only)
            at World Vital Records, while working on a New England genealogy going
            back to the 1600s. I did find it quite useful, maybe because my
            client is descended from / related to a ridiculous number of prominent
            New Englanders, including a US president and Benjamin Franklin. It was
            a good complement (but with some overlap) to the databases at
            NewEnglandAncestors.org (access to databases there is for members
            only). But I don't think I'd have found much for my own family at
            World Vital Records, especially the Slovak side.

            Re: Ancestry.com: the Library edition has some international records
            access, which comes in handy when I'm working on a French-Canadian
            line. Access to Ancestry at a library is definitely a good option if
            you don't want (or can't afford) a subscription. But you cannot "save
            to shoebox" or keep track of your searches. So even tho' I myself
            have free access to the library edition from my home computer because
            of my job, I keep my paid subscription (plus the job is only semester-
            by-semester). As for the cost, it's relative: most of us probably
            spend more per year on hobbies and addictions than an Ancestry
            subscription costs (eg Starbucks, cigarettes, collectibles, etc); we
            just spend the $ a few bucks at a time rather than paying for a year's
            "subscription" to our local coffee shop. Also, I do genealogical
            research for other people, so I'm using Ancestry a LOT more than when
            I was doing only my own family research. And they add more records
            every year. So you have to weigh all those factors, to decide if it's
            worth it for you.

            Also, don't forget about stevemorse.org; I seem to get more from some
            Ancestry searches when I use Steve Morse's search engines.

            Don't overlook google books searches for your family research
            (books.google.com); I've found a number of town and congregational
            histories there as well as published genealogies, and not just for New
            England. And the cost is free.

            Sorry this is so rambling. Hope it helps you sort out whether the
            cost of a subscription is worth it to you, for your research needs.

            Happy New Year to all! And please note, that we have a Blue Moon on
            New Year's Eve: I'm desperately trying to remember what things I do
            only once in a blue moon, 'cause tonight's the night....

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

            On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:10 PM, koudelkadaniel wrote:

            > I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
            > it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i
            > try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have
            > found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
            > Thanks again
          • Margaret Hicks
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
              On ancestry.com I have found more information about my Slovak and other families than I have ever before. My intent was to join for one year and work in it every day and it has paid for itself many times over.

              Margaret