Re: [S-R] Pay Search Engines

  • voony
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2009
      most libraries have Ancestry.com for free usage. try their version before you buy
      Bob

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
        To the best of my knowledge, the version of ancestry.com that is available in libraries is not the complete package.

        Margo

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
          I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library that has
          a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have to pay
          $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full one. I
          have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me to do my
          initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.

          MaryLou

          From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>
          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
          Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 9:58 PM

          In my humble opinion -- Ancestry is VERY expensive -- and you ALREADY pay
          for it via your taxes -- granting you FREE access at your library -- or a
          reciprocal one nearby -- so, why pay for it twice?
          It does have some good data, but it will suck your $$$$$ if you let it.

          Caye

          I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level

          it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i try
          another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have found no
          immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet

          Thanks again

          ---------------------
          Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

          http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\
          ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
            What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
            subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
            data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
            with dozens of links to various databases.

            Elaine

            Sent from my iPhone

          • MaryLou
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
              STANDARD PRICING
              U.S. DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
              Annual
              $155.40
              Quarterly
              $50.85
              Monthly
              $19.95
              WORLD DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
              Annual
              $299.40
              Quarterly
              $83.85
              Monthly
              $29.95
              These are standard prices as of August 2007 and are subject to change.

              What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
              subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
              data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
              with dozens of links to various databases.

              Elaine

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Dec 30, 2009, at 4:03 PM, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

              > I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library
              > that has
              > a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have
              > to pay
              > $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full
              > one. I
              > have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me
              > to do my
              > initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.
              >
              > MaryLou

            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
                I was just playing with the free access (offered for a few days only)
                at World Vital Records, while working on a New England genealogy going
                back to the 1600s. I did find it quite useful, maybe because my
                client is descended from / related to a ridiculous number of prominent
                New Englanders, including a US president and Benjamin Franklin. It was
                a good complement (but with some overlap) to the databases at
                NewEnglandAncestors.org (access to databases there is for members
                only). But I don't think I'd have found much for my own family at
                World Vital Records, especially the Slovak side.

                Re: Ancestry.com: the Library edition has some international records
                access, which comes in handy when I'm working on a French-Canadian
                line. Access to Ancestry at a library is definitely a good option if
                you don't want (or can't afford) a subscription. But you cannot "save
                to shoebox" or keep track of your searches. So even tho' I myself
                have free access to the library edition from my home computer because
                of my job, I keep my paid subscription (plus the job is only semester-
                by-semester). As for the cost, it's relative: most of us probably
                spend more per year on hobbies and addictions than an Ancestry
                subscription costs (eg Starbucks, cigarettes, collectibles, etc); we
                just spend the $ a few bucks at a time rather than paying for a year's
                "subscription" to our local coffee shop. Also, I do genealogical
                research for other people, so I'm using Ancestry a LOT more than when
                I was doing only my own family research. And they add more records
                every year. So you have to weigh all those factors, to decide if it's
                worth it for you.

                Also, don't forget about stevemorse.org; I seem to get more from some
                Ancestry searches when I use Steve Morse's search engines.

                Don't overlook google books searches for your family research
                (books.google.com); I've found a number of town and congregational
                histories there as well as published genealogies, and not just for New
                England. And the cost is free.

                Sorry this is so rambling. Hope it helps you sort out whether the
                cost of a subscription is worth it to you, for your research needs.

                Happy New Year to all! And please note, that we have a Blue Moon on
                New Year's Eve: I'm desperately trying to remember what things I do
                only once in a blue moon, 'cause tonight's the night....

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...

                On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:10 PM, koudelkadaniel wrote:

                > I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
                > it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i
                > try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have
                > found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
                > Thanks again
              • Margaret Hicks
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1 8:15 AM
                  On ancestry.com I have found more information about my Slovak and other families than I have ever before. My intent was to join for one year and work in it every day and it has paid for itself many times over.

                  Margaret