Re: Ellis Island Records--brick wall

  • JOHN
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2009
      Here are some Ellis Island possibilities. Perhaps you are already aware of them.

      Straka, Gabriel N. Korn 29 1878 1907 (could be Nagykoru)
      Straka, Janos 28 1865 1893
      Sztraka, Barbara 19 1876 1895

      Your best (and available) genealogical resources are the church records and also the 1869 Hungarian Census, available at your LDS/FHC.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 30, 2009
        Nancy,
        My maternal grandmother was Kendice.
        I looked in the 1995 Slovak Census to see how common a name Sztraka is. There were only 24 listings in 9 places, none in Kendice. So it is a fairly rare name.
        Although you would not know that from the Ellis Island listings.
        Besides Ellis Island, have you tried any of the other ports of entry?
        Did the Census give any other useful information?
        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 30, 2009
          Although there are only a small number of Sztrakas listed in the Slovakia
          phone directory, there are nearly 1000 Strakas, at least two of whom are in
          Kendice.

          Sztraka is the Hungarian spelling; Straka the Slovak.

          _____

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2009
            In the 1995 Census Straka is a very common name. There were 2209 listing in 424 places. The #1 city with 81 listings was Presov. Then there were three other towns in Presov District that had 32+ listings.

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
              Nancy,
              I found Gabriel Sztraka's wife Maria's immigration record in 1902. She came with her son Janos and daughter Anna. She is listed as Maria Tulej Sztraka and she is going to be with her husband Gabr. Tulej Straka living in Windber PA. She is coming from Ysebfalva or possibly Lsebfalva (I can't make it out). I did try to find this village around Kendice (previously Kende, Hungary) but I didn't find anything close. Do you have any idea what the name of this village was? If you do, you can then do a search of the immigrations from this village and maybe find Gabriel's record. Let me know if you would like Maria's immigration record.
              Carl K

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...> wrote:

              > With all the talk about brick walls on passenger lists, I thought I would add my "brick wall" and see if anyone else has any good fortune.
              >
              > My ggrandfather's name on the Kendice marriage record (1892) is GABOR SZTRAKA.  I find him on the 1900 Federal Census living with his brother's family in Somerset County, Paint Township, PA--
              > John Straka--brother (Head of household), age 29, year of immigration 1895
              > Gabriel Straka--age 32, year of immigration 1900
              > Bertha Straka (sister to John & Gabriel)--age 19, year of immigration 1895
              >
              > I have not been able to find any of these on a passenger list but I am mostly interested in Gabriel.
              > Thanks for any and all help.
              > Nancy

            • Carl
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
                Nancy,
                I found Gabor's immigration record. He is listed on ancestry as "Turre Sztraka". But if you go to the record, you will see that it Gubor Tulej Sztraka. One brick wall crumbles! Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send it to you.
                Carl K.
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@...> wrote:

                > Nancy,
                > I found Gabriel Sztraka's wife Maria's immigration record in 1902. She came with her son Janos and daughter Anna. She is listed as Maria Tulej Sztraka and she is going to be with her husband Gabr. Tulej Straka living in Windber PA. She is coming from Ysebfalva or possibly Lsebfalva (I can't make it out). I did try to find this village around Kendice (previously Kende, Hungary) but I didn't find anything close. Do you have any idea what the name of this village was? If you do, you can then do a search of the immigrations from this village and maybe find Gabriel's record. Let me know if you would like Maria's immigration record.
                > Carl K
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@> wrote:
                > >
                > > With all the talk about brick walls on passenger lists, I thought I would add my "brick wall" and see if anyone else has any good fortune.
                > >
                > > My ggrandfather's name on the Kendice marriage record (1892) is GABOR SZTRAKA.  I find him on the 1900 Federal Census living with his brother's family in Somerset County, Paint Township, PA--
                > > John Straka--brother (Head of household), age 29, year of immigration 1895
                > > Gabriel Straka--age 32, year of immigration 1900
                > > Bertha Straka (sister to John & Gabriel)--age 19, year of immigration 1895
                > >
                > > I have not been able to find any of these on a passenger list but I am mostly interested in Gabriel.
                > > Thanks for any and all help.
                > > Nancy

              • JOHN
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
                  >>> I found Gabriel Sztraka's wife Maria's immigration record in 1902. She came with her son Janos and daughter Anna. . . . Ysebfalva or possibly Lsebfalva (I can't make it out). I did try to find this village around Kendice (previously Kende, Hungary) but I didn't find anything close. <<<

                  Zsebfalu, Saros Megye now Župc'any, Slovakia located 7 km west of Presov. Kendice is 8 km south of Presov.

                  Whatta team!
                • JOHN
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
                    >>> With all the talk about brick walls on passenger lists, I thought I would add my "brick wall" and see if anyone else has any good fortune.
                    My ggrandfather's name on the Kendice marriage record (1892) is GABOR SZTRAKA. <<<

                    There's enough information in the RC church records and 1869 Hungarian Census to keep you going for all of 2011. Happy New Year.

                    LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Župèany, Slovakia, formerly Zsebfalu, Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated town of Malý Šariš, Slovakia, formerly Kis-Sáros, Sáros, Hungary.

                    FHL INTL Film 1920557 Items 2 - 5
                    Inv. è. 1568
                    Krsty 1767-1827 -- Úmrtia 1767-1827 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1767-1827
                    Inv. è. 1569
                    Krsty 1814-1854 -- Úmrtia 1814-1854 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1814-1854 -- Birmovaní 1836 -- Birmovaní 1841 -- Inv. è. 1570
                    Krsty 1855-1891 -- Úmrtia 1855-1896-- Uzavreté manželstvá 1855-1896 -- Inv. è. 1571 Krsty 1892-1896 (Malý Šariš)

                    FHL INTL Film 1920557 Items 6 - 8
                    Inv. è. 1572
                    Krsty 1767-1814 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1768-1814 -- Úmrtia 1767-1814
                    Inv. è. 1573
                    Druhopisy krstov 1860-1864
                    Inv. è. 1574
                    Druhopisy: Krsty 1864-1895 -- Uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1860-1895

                    1869 Hungarian Census
                    Zsebfalu (Župèany) Film # 2189248 Item 2

                    Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kendice, Slovakia, formerly Kende (or Kendice), Sáros, Hungary.

                    FHL INTL Film 1792753 Items 2 - 6
                    Inv. è. 425
                    Krsty 1789-1830 -- Konvertiti 1789-1823 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1789-1830 -- Úmrtia 1789-1830
                    Inv. è. 426
                    Krsty 1831-1852 -- Birmovaní 1851, 1858 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1831-1852
                    Inv. è. 427
                    Krsty 1853-1882 -- Úmrtia 1853-1882 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1853-1895
                    Inv. è. 428
                    Úmrtia 1883-1896
                    Inv. è. 429
                    Druhopisy krstov, uzavretých manželstiev, úmrtí 1860-1876

                    FHL INTL Film 1792754 Item 1
                    Inv. è. 429 (cont.)
                    Druhopisy krstov 1876-1895
                    Uzavreté manželstvá 1863-1895
                    Úmrtia 1863-1895

                    1869 Hungarian Census
                    Kende (Kendice) Film #2162305 Item 5
                    (cont.) Kende (Kendice) Film #2162306 Item 1

                    TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
                    Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.

                    Here's hoping that these church records will be back on line soon.
                  • JOHN
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 31, 2009
                      >>> Inv. è. 425 <<<

                      On my screen, the accented c appears as an accented e, per above example. Your experience may differ.
                    • Judy G
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                        Strakas in my family came from Nagyvitez, now Vitaz, Saros. Actually, they are cousins so I don't know much about the ancestry except that the father or grandfather of the Straka who came to this country (Bridgeport, CT area - 1880) was listed in the Lutheran records as free. I still don't know the full implications of that.

                        Judy in Connecticut

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                          Dear Judy:

                          What are the other names in your lineage? My family also comes from
                          Vitaz, Ovcie, Dolina, Siroke, and other neighboring villages. Below are the
                          surnames in my direct lineage.

                          I wish you and everyone else a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New
                          Year!

                          Best regards,

                          David Baloga

                          Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
                          HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS,
                          ONDERCIN, RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
                          County (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
                          SPISSKE VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
                          HRHOV, STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
                          BRZOTIN, and surrounding area)

                        • Judy G
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                            My mother's maiden name is Janosik. Her grandfather was the immigrant. These Janosiks were from what is now Chminianska Nova Ves, but my great-grandfather Janosik moved over to Vitaz when a Janosik female (I forget whether it was his sister or his daughter) married a Straka from Vitaz. (They were all in the same Lutheran church.) My great-grandmother was an Olsovsky (that's how it ended up getting spelled in this country, but I have seen it Olshafsky and various other ways).

                            I have a couple of generations back on both these lines but would have to get my papers out (which are not handy at the moment). I know there is a Rothman a couple of generations back.

                            None of your names look familiar, though. Funny you can have such a small village and that can happen (though, my direct line were new arrivals in Vitaz, but not from THAT far away!).

                            I went to school with a Balogh. His parents had come from Budapest in 1956.

                            Best wishes for the new year! Judy Goss

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2010
                              Dear Judy:

                              Hello! Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I am familiar with the
                              JANOSIK surname. The godfather of my great, great grandfather JAN JURASKO who
                              was born in the nearby village of Richnava in 1825 is an ANDREAS JANOSIK.
                              He was also the godfather to two of my great, great grandfather's
                              siblings. I haven't been able to trace another farther back (pre-1820 records)
                              yet, but from what I have seen in my other lines, the godparents were usually
                              related in some way.

                              It is good to see another Sarisan (from Saris county). I wish you and
                              your family a very Happy New Year!

                              Best regards,

                              David

                            • christine mackara