Re: [S-R] Pay Search Engines

  • voony
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2009
      most libraries have Ancestry.com for free usage. try their version before you buy
      Bob

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
        I am considering getting Mac Family Tree. Does anybody know what
        search engines they use? It is probably the most compatible software
        for my mac. I just wondered if they have their own search engines
        and how good it is.

        On Dec 30, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Nancy Gibbs wrote:

        > In my case, the cost of my subscription to the U.S. Collection on
        > Ancestry is worth it. My local library does have Ancestry or
        > Heritage and the closest FHC is about 30 miles away. I think you
        > need to weigh all those factors in when deciding to subscribed to
        > any pay site or not.

      • Margo Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
          To the best of my knowledge, the version of ancestry.com that is available in libraries is not the complete package.

          Margo

          ________________________________

          ____________ _________ _________ __
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
            I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library that has
            a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have to pay
            $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full one. I
            have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me to do my
            initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.

            MaryLou

            From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>
            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
            Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 9:58 PM

            In my humble opinion -- Ancestry is VERY expensive -- and you ALREADY pay
            for it via your taxes -- granting you FREE access at your library -- or a
            reciprocal one nearby -- so, why pay for it twice?
            It does have some good data, but it will suck your $$$$$ if you let it.

            Caye

            I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level

            it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i try
            another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have found no
            immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet

            Thanks again

            ---------------------
            Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

            http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\
            ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
              What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
              subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
              data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
              with dozens of links to various databases.

              Elaine

              Sent from my iPhone

            • MaryLou
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
                STANDARD PRICING
                U.S. DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
                Annual
                $155.40
                Quarterly
                $50.85
                Monthly
                $19.95
                WORLD DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
                Annual
                $299.40
                Quarterly
                $83.85
                Monthly
                $29.95
                These are standard prices as of August 2007 and are subject to change.

                What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
                subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
                data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
                with dozens of links to various databases.

                Elaine

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Dec 30, 2009, at 4:03 PM, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

                > I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library
                > that has
                > a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have
                > to pay
                > $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full
                > one. I
                > have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me
                > to do my
                > initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.
                >
                > MaryLou

              • Julie Michutka
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
                  I was just playing with the free access (offered for a few days only)
                  at World Vital Records, while working on a New England genealogy going
                  back to the 1600s. I did find it quite useful, maybe because my
                  client is descended from / related to a ridiculous number of prominent
                  New Englanders, including a US president and Benjamin Franklin. It was
                  a good complement (but with some overlap) to the databases at
                  NewEnglandAncestors.org (access to databases there is for members
                  only). But I don't think I'd have found much for my own family at
                  World Vital Records, especially the Slovak side.

                  Re: Ancestry.com: the Library edition has some international records
                  access, which comes in handy when I'm working on a French-Canadian
                  line. Access to Ancestry at a library is definitely a good option if
                  you don't want (or can't afford) a subscription. But you cannot "save
                  to shoebox" or keep track of your searches. So even tho' I myself
                  have free access to the library edition from my home computer because
                  of my job, I keep my paid subscription (plus the job is only semester-
                  by-semester). As for the cost, it's relative: most of us probably
                  spend more per year on hobbies and addictions than an Ancestry
                  subscription costs (eg Starbucks, cigarettes, collectibles, etc); we
                  just spend the $ a few bucks at a time rather than paying for a year's
                  "subscription" to our local coffee shop. Also, I do genealogical
                  research for other people, so I'm using Ancestry a LOT more than when
                  I was doing only my own family research. And they add more records
                  every year. So you have to weigh all those factors, to decide if it's
                  worth it for you.

                  Also, don't forget about stevemorse.org; I seem to get more from some
                  Ancestry searches when I use Steve Morse's search engines.

                  Don't overlook google books searches for your family research
                  (books.google.com); I've found a number of town and congregational
                  histories there as well as published genealogies, and not just for New
                  England. And the cost is free.

                  Sorry this is so rambling. Hope it helps you sort out whether the
                  cost of a subscription is worth it to you, for your research needs.

                  Happy New Year to all! And please note, that we have a Blue Moon on
                  New Year's Eve: I'm desperately trying to remember what things I do
                  only once in a blue moon, 'cause tonight's the night....

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...

                  On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:10 PM, koudelkadaniel wrote:

                  > I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
                  > it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i
                  > try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have
                  > found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
                  > Thanks again
                • Margaret Hicks
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
                    On ancestry.com I have found more information about my Slovak and other families than I have ever before. My intent was to join for one year and work in it every day and it has paid for itself many times over.

                    Margaret