Pay Search Engines

  • koudelkadaniel
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2009
      I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
      it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
      Thanks again
    • voony
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2009
        most libraries have Ancestry.com for free usage. try their version before you buy
        Bob

        ________________________________
        I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
        it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
        Thanks again

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2009
          In my humble opinion -- Ancestry is VERY expensive -- and you ALREADY pay for it via your taxes -- granting you FREE access at your library -- or a reciprocal one nearby -- so, why pay for it twice?
          It does have some good data, but it will suck your $$$$$ if you let it.

          Caye

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2009
            not all libraries have access to Ancestry, many Pennsylvania libraries use Heritage instead because Ancestry is too expensive and the budgets have been cut

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 29, 2009
              That's a shame as Heritage does have it's use -- but it's woefully incomplete.  I guess we  all are paying the economic price of this recession.

              From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

              From: koudelkadaniel <koudelkadaniel@ yahoo.com>

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

              Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 7:10 PM

              I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level

              it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet

              Thanks again

            • Nancy Gibbs
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
                In my case, the cost of my subscription to the U.S. Collection on Ancestry is worth it.  My local library does have Ancestry or Heritage and the closest FHC is about 30 miles away.  I think you need to weigh all those factors in when deciding to subscribed to any pay site or not.

                ________________________________
                not all libraries have access to Ancestry, many Pennsylvania libraries use Heritage instead because Ancestry is too expensive and the budgets have been cut

                In my humble opinion -- Ancestry is VERY expensive -- and you ALREADY pay for it via your taxes -- granting you FREE access at your library -- or a reciprocal one nearby -- so, why pay for it twice?
                It does have some good data, but it will suck your $$$$$ if you let it.

                Caye

                I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level

                it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet

                Thanks again

              • Deborah L Jackson
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
                  I am considering getting Mac Family Tree. Does anybody know what
                  search engines they use? It is probably the most compatible software
                  for my mac. I just wondered if they have their own search engines
                  and how good it is.

                  On Dec 30, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Nancy Gibbs wrote:

                  > In my case, the cost of my subscription to the U.S. Collection on
                  > Ancestry is worth it. My local library does have Ancestry or
                  > Heritage and the closest FHC is about 30 miles away. I think you
                  > need to weigh all those factors in when deciding to subscribed to
                  > any pay site or not.

                • Margo Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
                    To the best of my knowledge, the version of ancestry.com that is available in libraries is not the complete package.

                    Margo

                    ________________________________

                    ____________ _________ _________ __
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
                      I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library that has
                      a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have to pay
                      $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full one. I
                      have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me to do my
                      initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.

                      MaryLou

                      not all libraries have access to Ancestry, many Pennsylvania libraries use
                      Heritage instead because Ancestry is too expensive and the budgets have been
                      cut

                      I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level

                      it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i try
                      another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have found no
                      immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet

                      Thanks again

                      ---------------------
                      Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                      http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\
                      ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
                        What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
                        subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
                        data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
                        with dozens of links to various databases.

                        Elaine

                        Sent from my iPhone

                      • MaryLou
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 30, 2009
                          STANDARD PRICING
                          U.S. DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
                          Annual
                          $155.40
                          Quarterly
                          $50.85
                          Monthly
                          $19.95
                          WORLD DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
                          Annual
                          $299.40
                          Quarterly
                          $83.85
                          Monthly
                          $29.95
                          These are standard prices as of August 2007 and are subject to change.

                          What is in the full package of Ancestry.com? Our libraries have a
                          subscription, and it has the census info for US and UK, immigration
                          data, with Ellis Island and other ports, and there's also an "insert"
                          with dozens of links to various databases.

                          Elaine

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Dec 30, 2009, at 4:03 PM, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

                          > I agree--I am also about 30 miles from the FHC and the only library
                          > that has
                          > a subscription to Ancestry is across the state line from me. I have
                          > to pay
                          > $25 for a yearly card but the subscription they have is not the full
                          > one. I
                          > have a full subscription to Ancestry and it has been so easy for me
                          > to do my
                          > initial research from home that I feel the money is well spent.
                          >
                          > MaryLou

                        • Julie Michutka
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
                            I was just playing with the free access (offered for a few days only)
                            at World Vital Records, while working on a New England genealogy going
                            back to the 1600s. I did find it quite useful, maybe because my
                            client is descended from / related to a ridiculous number of prominent
                            New Englanders, including a US president and Benjamin Franklin. It was
                            a good complement (but with some overlap) to the databases at
                            NewEnglandAncestors.org (access to databases there is for members
                            only). But I don't think I'd have found much for my own family at
                            World Vital Records, especially the Slovak side.

                            Re: Ancestry.com: the Library edition has some international records
                            access, which comes in handy when I'm working on a French-Canadian
                            line. Access to Ancestry at a library is definitely a good option if
                            you don't want (or can't afford) a subscription. But you cannot "save
                            to shoebox" or keep track of your searches. So even tho' I myself
                            have free access to the library edition from my home computer because
                            of my job, I keep my paid subscription (plus the job is only semester-
                            by-semester). As for the cost, it's relative: most of us probably
                            spend more per year on hobbies and addictions than an Ancestry
                            subscription costs (eg Starbucks, cigarettes, collectibles, etc); we
                            just spend the $ a few bucks at a time rather than paying for a year's
                            "subscription" to our local coffee shop. Also, I do genealogical
                            research for other people, so I'm using Ancestry a LOT more than when
                            I was doing only my own family research. And they add more records
                            every year. So you have to weigh all those factors, to decide if it's
                            worth it for you.

                            Also, don't forget about stevemorse.org; I seem to get more from some
                            Ancestry searches when I use Steve Morse's search engines.

                            Don't overlook google books searches for your family research
                            (books.google.com); I've found a number of town and congregational
                            histories there as well as published genealogies, and not just for New
                            England. And the cost is free.

                            Sorry this is so rambling. Hope it helps you sort out whether the
                            cost of a subscription is worth it to you, for your research needs.

                            Happy New Year to all! And please note, that we have a Blue Moon on
                            New Year's Eve: I'm desperately trying to remember what things I do
                            only once in a blue moon, 'cause tonight's the night....

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...

                            On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:10 PM, koudelkadaniel wrote:

                            > I have used Ancestry.com and think i exhausted finds at my skill level
                            > it was not the worldwide version is it worth the extra $ or should i
                            > try another search engine? World vital or any suggestions i have
                            > found no immigration docs or any foreign info as of yet
                            > Thanks again
                          • Margaret Hicks
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
                              On ancestry.com I have found more information about my Slovak and other families than I have ever before. My intent was to join for one year and work in it every day and it has paid for itself many times over.

                              Margaret