Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] La Lorraine

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2000
      What do you mean you "can't find this ship in the records"? What records
      are you referring to?

      If you have the date of arrival and the ship name, order the
      corresponding microfilm of NY arrivals and it should be there IF the
      info was given correctly. Sometimes dates etc are off, and you have to
      search around the date.

      If you're talking about finding this on the internet, you won't be able
      to. Only a small percentage of manifests are on the net, and even if
      you find it on the net you still need to look at the original manifest.

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Dollins
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
        At the www.cimorelli.com site I found this:

        Arrival Steamer Line Area Port POD1 POD2
        POA
        5/25/1913 La Lorraine French Line France Havre Bordeaux Vigo New York

        POD is point of departure; POA is point of arrival.

        Now you can go to the Family History Library's films numbered 1400769 and
        1400770 to look up the passenger list.

        You're lucky. On my great-grandfather's citizenship papers he mentioned a
        ship whose name isn't ANYwhere! I'm searching passenger lists for all dates
        around the one he gave; hope to find his name somewhere!

        Anabeth Dollins
        axd2@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Theresa McGlothlen" <tery@n...>
          wrote:
          > My sister finally came through with some of the information she had
          > on
          > my grandparents. My grandfather Ignac James Nerad was born in
          > Hocksteten Czech. in 1894 and came over on the La Lorraine on May
          25,
          > 1913 to NY. I can't find this ship in the records. Can anyone
          offer
          > me any other sites that may have this ship listed? I also have the
          > information from his Declaration of Intent filed in Chicago. I am
          > planning a trip there to research more. She also gave me a SS# but I
          > can not find the number listed under anyone with the spelling of
          > Nerad. I will let you know how things progress.
          >
          > Theresa (Nerad, Lehocky)

          Mais oui !

          LA LORRAINE

          Built in 1899 by CGT, St Nazaire, the LA LORRAINE was a 11,146 gross
          ton ship, length 563.1ft x beam 60ft, two funnels, two masts, twin
          screw and a speed of 20 knots. There was accommodation for 446-1st,
          116-2nd and 552-3rd class passengers.
          Launched on 20/9/1899 for the Compagnie Generale Transatlantique
          (French Line) she sailed on her maiden voyage from Havre to New York
          on 11/8/1900.
          On 25/7/1914 she started her last voyage on this route before the war
          and between 1914 and 1917 was used as an Armed Merchant Cruiser and
          renamed LORRAINE II.
          In 1918 she reverted to her original name and commenced her first
          voyage in May 1918 when she sailed between Bordeaux and New York. Her
          last sailing on this route commenced on 19/1/1919 and on 22/2/1919 she
          resumed the Havre - New York service.
          In May 1922 she was refitted to carry cabin and 3rd class passengers
          only and on 1/10/1922 commenced her final Havre - New York sailing. In
          December 1922 she was scrapped at St Nazaire.
          [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.658] [Posted to The
          ShipsList by Ted Finch - 1 January 1998]
        • Theresa McGlothlen
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
            Thank you Anabeth and Frank. You are both so very wonderful!!!!

            Theresa
          • David Mothkovich
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2000
              Frank-
              I'm impressed - how did you find all that information?
              Dave
              > > My sister finally came through with some of the information she had
              > > on
              > > my grandparents. My grandfather Ignac James Nerad was born in
              > > Hocksteten Czech. in 1894 and came over on the La Lorraine on May
              > 25,
              > > 1913 to NY. I can't find this ship in the records. Can anyone
              > offer
              > > me any other sites that may have this ship listed? I also have the
              > > information from his Declaration of Intent filed in Chicago. I am
              > > planning a trip there to research more. She also gave me a SS# but I
              > > can not find the number listed under anyone with the spelling of
              > > Nerad. I will let you know how things progress.
              > >
              > > Theresa (Nerad, Lehocky)
              > >

              > Mais oui !
              >
              > LA LORRAINE
              >
              > Built in 1899 by CGT, St Nazaire, the LA LORRAINE was a 11,146 gross
              > ton ship, length 563.1ft x beam 60ft, two funnels, two masts, twin
              > screw and a speed of 20 knots. There was accommodation for 446-1st,
              > 116-2nd and 552-3rd class passengers.
              > Launched on 20/9/1899 for the Compagnie Generale Transatlantique
              > (French Line) she sailed on her maiden voyage from Havre to New York
              > on 11/8/1900.
              > On 25/7/1914 she started her last voyage on this route before the war
              > and between 1914 and 1917 was used as an Armed Merchant Cruiser and
              > renamed LORRAINE II.
              > In 1918 she reverted to her original name and commenced her first
              > voyage in May 1918 when she sailed between Bordeaux and New York. Her
              > last sailing on this route commenced on 19/1/1919 and on 22/2/1919 she
              > resumed the Havre - New York service.
              > In May 1922 she was refitted to carry cabin and 3rd class passengers
              > only and on 1/10/1922 commenced her final Havre - New York sailing. In
              > December 1922 she was scrapped at St Nazaire.
              > [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.658] [Posted to The
              > ShipsList by Ted Finch - 1 January 1998]

            • Frank Kurchina
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2000
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "David Mothkovich" <dave9759@e...>
                wrote:
                > Frank-
                > I'm impressed - how did you find all that information?
                > Dave

                Only because I reply to Slavic ethnic queries up to 10 hours per
                day.

                TheShipsList-L is a great site to join for specific ship information.
                But you need to subcribe and unsubscribe at times, otherwise you
                will receive too many messages in your Inbox !!

                Frank