RE: [S-R] Re: Passenger list for 1895 - Women's names

  • Sandra/John Panzitta
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 26, 2009
      Hi Janet,
      Yes, that is what I found in the LDS church records, married women kept
      their maiden names. I was referring to the first name of "Mihalyne". This
      village only has several female first names, with no deviations - Anna,
      Maria, Barbala... never saw a Mihalyne. That is what was nagging me. I
      thought perhaps it was a feminine version of Mihaly. Now I understand what
      the Ellis manifest was communicating. The ticket was purchased for Mihaly
      Petreny's wife. Her first name wasn't given.

      I have a manifest where the ticket was in the combined name of the purchaser
      and immigrant. I was looking for Zigmund Arasin. I had his naturalization
      papers with the name of the ship and arrival date. No matter how I put his
      name in the search engine, he wasn't appearing. Then I went through every
      passenger on the ship. I found a Jan Zigmund. Upon closer inspection Jan
      Zigmund was traveling to meet his brother Jan Arasin in Coyne, PA. Coyne
      was a nickname of particular section of a town, actually only several
      blocks, very tiny. His other statistical information was correct including
      the name of the small village where he was born, so I knew I had a match.
      Just goes to show errors were made.

      I know this is a Slovak site, but here's a little FYI - Italian women always
      retained their maiden names. It is the maiden name you should look for on
      immigration records, not the married name. It wasn't until Italian women
      came to the US, that they took their husbands' name. Interesting.

      Sandra

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com
      yahoogroups.com]On
      Behalf Of gklodzen@aol. <mailto:gklodzen%40aol.com> com
      Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:33 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Passenger list for 1895

      Thank you Janet and Carl, you have been very helpful. This was the first
      instance I'd seen of either the given name "Gregory" or the title "Mrs.
      Gregory....." rather then the usual wife's given name in passenger records
      of KLADZAN family members.

      Happy Holidays to you and All,
      Eugene Klodzen