Finding more about my great aunt

  • hyperlexiadaddy
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 24, 2009
      Name Jean Yencso Alvares

      Born close to 1930 in Pennsylvania.

      Father Michael Yencso
      Mother Susan Andraso Yencso

      Married to Mr. (don't know 1st name) Alvares

      Lived in Oropesa Del Mar, Castellon, Spain in
      the late 60's or early 70's

      Died in Spain.

      I'd appreciate any help on this.
      Thanks, Dave

      Vesele Vianoce to you all
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2009
        Dave,
        Since you are posting on Slovak-Roots I presume it is because of the surname Yencso.
        I entered Yencso into the 1995 Slovak Census. There were no listings for Yencso. It gave three alternatives; Bencso, Dencso and Jencso. In the census Bencso had 22 listings in 12 places. Dencso had 18 listings in 12 places. Jencso had 8 listings in 4 places.
        I then entered Yencso in the Ellis Island search. There was a Mihaly K Yencso from Yenke, Hungary at age 42 arrived in 1914. He would have been born in 1872. He had a wife, Anna. He listed his race as Magyar / Hungarian.
        There was a block of Yencso immigrants that came from Szorocsin.
        Yenke had no lising, but Jenke did. It is present day Jenkovce, Slovakia. Szorocsin is present day Strocin, Slovakia.
        The Ellis Island Mihaly may be related, but I doubt he is yours since his wife's name was Anna and yours is Susan.
        Since you are looking for Jean born around 1930 in Pennsylvania I would suggest going online and get the information for his birth from PA. It would help if you knew what city he was born in.
        Michael

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2009
          Ahoj Michael,
          Thanks for checking on Yencso, but
          I have my direct Slovak Yencso/Jencso/Jenco relatives
          located and am in touch...they are in Bracovce
          and Michalovce.

          BTW, you won't find Yencso in Slovakia, as the Y
          spelling is a phonetic change made at Ellis Island.

          My Aunt Jean was born near Pittsburgh around 1930.
          If she's not in the 1930 census, she wasn't born yet.
          She married a man from New York named Alvares (I would think
          that Ancestry might have the wedding record).

          Frustrating thing is, I once found the engagement notice
          in a newspaper online from the mid 1950's, but can't locate it now.

          Jean died in Spain.
          Her married name was Jean Alvares.
          Do you have any way to search for that name?
          Thanks
          Dave

          > Dave,
          > Since you are posting on Slovak-Roots I presume it is because of the surname Yencso.
          > I entered Yencso into the 1995 Slovak Census. There were no listings for Yencso. It gave three alternatives; Bencso, Dencso and Jencso. In the census Bencso had 22 listings in 12 places. Dencso had 18 listings in 12 places. Jencso had 8 listings in 4 places.
          > I then entered Yencso in the Ellis Island search. There was a Mihaly K Yencso from Yenke, Hungary at age 42 arrived in 1914. He would have been born in 1872. He had a wife, Anna. He listed his race as Magyar / Hungarian.
          > There was a block of Yencso immigrants that came from Szorocsin.
          > Yenke had no lising, but Jenke did. It is present day Jenkovce, Slovakia. Szorocsin is present day Strocin, Slovakia.
          > The Ellis Island Mihaly may be related, but I doubt he is yours since his wife's name was Anna and yours is Susan.
          > Since you are looking for Jean born around 1930 in Pennsylvania I would suggest going online and get the information for his birth from PA. It would help if you knew what city he was born in.
          > Michael

        • Frank R Plichta
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
            I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but Ellis Island did not
            change names.

            All of the passenger lists that are at Ellis Island were prepared in Europe,
            by the shipping lines, at the traveler's port of departure. Those passenger
            lists were not changed at Ellis Island. Notations may have been made as to
            their status when they arrived and some had notes added that the passenger
            was not admitted and returned to Europe.

            Names may have changed when the traveler got to where they were going but
            not at Ellis Island. Or you might find transcription errors when the files
            were digitized. But Ellis Island did not make the changes.

            My maternal grandfather came to America as Jan Tomas. But when my mother
            was in grade school in a Slovak Catholic School, the nuns told her that her
            future would be easier if her name was "Thomas". My mother and her sisters
            were "Thomas" from that point on.

            Frank

            _____

            yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            > Since you are posting on Slovak-Roots I presume it is because of the
            surname Yencso.
            > I entered Yencso into the 1995 Slovak Census. There were no listings for
            Yencso. It gave three alternatives; Bencso, Dencso and Jencso. In the census
            Bencso had 22 listings in 12 places. Dencso had 18 listings in 12 places.
            Jencso had 8 listings in 4 places.
            > I then entered Yencso in the Ellis Island search. There was a Mihaly K
            Yencso from Yenke, Hungary at age 42 arrived in 1914. He would have been
            born in 1872. He had a wife, Anna. He listed his race as Magyar / Hungarian.

            > There was a block of Yencso immigrants that came from Szorocsin.
            > Yenke had no lising, but Jenke did. It is present day Jenkovce, Slovakia.
            Szorocsin is present day Strocin, Slovakia.
            > The Ellis Island Mihaly may be related, but I doubt he is yours since his
            wife's name was Anna and yours is Susan.
            > Since you are looking for Jean born around 1930 in Pennsylvania I would
            suggest going online and get the information for his birth from PA. It would
            help if you knew what city he was born in.
            > Michael

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
              Dave,
              Glad to hear you are in touch with your Slovak relatives. I know Michalovce and Bracovce. I have a cousin who is a priest. His first assignment was Michalovce. And for the past 5 years he was the Dekan of he RC cathedral in Trebisov, which is just few miles from Bracovce. From one source I see the surname Jenco is in both towns.
              I did a online search for Jean Alvares. Problem, there is a male professor by that name and the links to him are many.
              When I get back from an appointment I will try something else. Do you know what town near Pittsburgh she was born?
              Michael

              I have my direct Slovak Yencso/Jencso/Jenco relatives
              located and am in touch...they are in Bracovce
              and Michalovce.

              BTW, you won't find Yencso in Slovakia, as the Y
              spelling is a phonetic change made at Ellis Island.

              My Aunt Jean was born near Pittsburgh around 1930.
              If she's not in the 1930 census, she wasn't born yet.
              She married a man from New York named Alvares (I would think
              that Ancestry might have the wedding record).

              Frustrating thing is, I once found the engagement notice
              in a newspaper online from the mid 1950's, but can't locate it now.

              Jean died in Spain.
              Her married name was Jean Alvares.
              Do you have any way to search for that name?
              Thanks
              Dave

              > Dave,
              > Since you are posting on Slovak-Roots I presume it is because of the surname Yencso.
              > I entered Yencso into the 1995 Slovak Census. There were no listings for Yencso. It gave three alternatives; Bencso, Dencso and Jencso. In the census Bencso had 22 listings in 12 places. Dencso had 18 listings in 12 places. Jencso had 8 listings in 4 places.
              > I then entered Yencso in the Ellis Island search. There was a Mihaly K Yencso from Yenke, Hungary at age 42 arrived in 1914. He would have been born in 1872. He had a wife, Anna. He listed his race as Magyar / Hungarian.
              > There was a block of Yencso immigrants that came from Szorocsin.
              > Yenke had no lising, but Jenke did. It is present day Jenkovce, Slovakia. Szorocsin is present day Strocin, Slovakia.
              > The Ellis Island Mihaly may be related, but I doubt he is yours since his wife's name was Anna and yours is Susan.
              > Since you are looking for Jean born around 1930 in Pennsylvania I would suggest going online and get the information for his birth from PA. It would help if you knew what city he was born in.
              > Michael

            • hyperlexiadaddy
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
                Hi Frank,
                Good point...not sure we'll ever know who
                actually changed it.
                My Slovak grandfather was
                Meihaly Jencso on the ship's manifest.
                I want to thank you for the comment,
                as it made me take a look at the manifest
                which reminded me of another relative...
                Andras Adams, his brother-in-law, who was
                listed as the person he was meeting in Pittsburgh.

                Now I have 2 more mysteries...who was Andras married to,
                (my Grandpa's sister), and what relatives named Adams
                we have in Pittsburgh from that part of the family.

                Dave

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                > I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but Ellis Island did not
                > change names.
                >

                > All of the passenger lists that are at Ellis Island were prepared in Europe,
                > by the shipping lines, at the traveler's port of departure. Those passenger
                > lists were not changed at Ellis Island. Notations may have been made as to
                > their status when they arrived and some had notes added that the passenger
                > was not admitted and returned to Europe.
                >

                > Names may have changed when the traveler got to where they were going but
                > not at Ellis Island. Or you might find transcription errors when the files
                > were digitized. But Ellis Island did not make the changes.
                >

                > My maternal grandfather came to America as Jan Tomas. But when my mother
                > was in grade school in a Slovak Catholic School, the nuns told her that her
                > future would be easier if her name was "Thomas". My mother and her sisters
                > were "Thomas" from that point on.
                >

                > Frank
                >

                > _____

              • JOHN
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
                  >>> Meihaly Jencso on the ship's manifest. <<<
                  Perhaps so but his given name would have been Mihaly.

                  >>> Andras Adams, his brother-in-law, <<<
                  ADAMS is very unlikely, albeit on the maifest. ADAM would likely be correct.

                  >>> what relatives named Adams we have in Pittsburgh from that part of the family. <<<

                  There is an ADAMS branch south of PIT on my family tree. The "s" was added to the US birth record of Jack ADAMS, who is probably lurking. His children all carry the "s" in their surname.

                  John Adam
                • david1law@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
                    Hi David:

                    If your JENCSO family is in the Siroke parish (Siroke, Vitaz, Ovcie, etc)
                    in Saris region , please feel free to contact me directly by email. I
                    know that there are JENCA (YENCA) families in my extended family tree.

                    Best regards,

                    David Baloga

                  • hyperlexiadaddy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
                      Hi John,
                      My dad's kin all settled around Pittsburgh.
                      They came from what is now Zemplin, from villages
                      of Bracovce, Lastomir, and Laskovce.
                      Where do your Slovak Adam relatives come from?
                      Dave

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                      > Perhaps so but his given name would have been Mihaly.

                      > ADAMS is very unlikely, albeit on the maifest. ADAM would likely be correct.

                      > There is an ADAMS branch south of PIT on my family tree. The "s" was added to the US birth record of Jack ADAMS, who is probably lurking. His children all carry the "s" in their surname.
                      >
                      > John Adam

                    • hyperlexiadaddy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
                        It would have been Whittaker or Braddock.
                        Dave

                        > Dave,
                        > Glad to hear you are in touch with your Slovak relatives. I know Michalovce and Bracovce. I have a cousin who is a priest. His first assignment was Michalovce. And for the past 5 years he was the Dekan of he RC cathedral in Trebisov, which is just few miles from Bracovce. From one source I see the surname Jenco is in both towns.
                        > I did a online search for Jean Alvares. Problem, there is a male professor by that name and the links to him are many.
                        > When I get back from an appointment I will try something else. Do you know what town near Pittsburgh she was born?
                        > Michael

                      • JOHN
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 29, 2009
                          >>> My dad's kin all settled around Pittsburgh.
                          They came from what is now Zemplin, from villages
                          of Bracovce, Lastomir, and Laskovce.
                          Where do your Slovak Adam relatives come from? <<<

                          My ADAM village is Dubravka, with one branch heading northwest to Secovce in more recent times. The period from 1800-1840 is very hazy. Some day, I may stumble across relevant ADAM data for that period. When you get down south to Bracovce, you are very close to my neighborhood.
                        • Barbara
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
                            I grew up in Whitaker, did you try the census there? It's in Allegheny County.