A city in Austria-Hungary

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2000
      I just received my grandparents' marriage certificate and it says that my
      gradmother's birthplace was "LIPJIANY". Does anyone know something about
      this place?

      Thanks for your help.
      Kathi-Raisa Petrick
      Cockeysville, MD
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
        > I just received my grandparents' marriage certificate and it says
        that my
        > gradmother's birthplace was "LIPJIANY". Does anyone know something
        about
        > this place?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        > Kathi-Raisa Petrick
        > Cockeysville, MD

        Before WW I, Czech-Bohemia and Slovakia were both Austria-Hungary.

        Probably Lipany/Lipiany (Sv) Héthárs (H) located 188 miles ENE of
        Bratislava, 16 miles NW of Pres^ov and just NW of Sabinov, Slovakia.
        Located on the Torysa stream.

        That is, if you exclude the 3 place names located in the Czech
        Republic.

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1748-1895) for Lipany,
        Slovakia, formerly Héthárs, Sáros Megye, Hungary.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.
        film #
        172644
        172646