Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Slovak and Czech Archives

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2000
      Remember that most of the Slovak Republic records are microfilmed and
      available via the LDS church. You can do this research yourself and not
      have to use the archives. This is also good because you can find other
      relatives and possibly find more people yourself than the archives
      workers can.

      The Czech Republic records are not filmed, and those you have to access
      via the archives. I usually state $100 limit, and so far I've had one
      $35 bill, one $81 and one $75. It is more if you ask for translations,
      and more if you ask for siblings not just direct lines. It's also more
      if they have to check several archives if you don't know which
      town/village they are from. The Czech Archives will also offer you a
      very good highly detailed map of the area (like a hiking map) for only
      $4.

      both archives take US checks. I'd send check, not money order as I had a
      bad experience with the Slovak Archives (before I realized they didn't
      have anything the microfilm didn't) who "lost" my money order and wrote
      me wanting another $80, and I couldn't get a refund from my credit
      union. I never bothered to send them another as by then I had already
      found the info myself on film. At least you can cancel a check.

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching