Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] LDS Films

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
      I wish I had time to relate a story here about a piece of detective work I
      just did with the 1910 CT census (that's right, one of the ones that are NOT
      indexed, but I found my people!). Meanwhile, I heartily agree with Julie,
      and will add this advice:
      make a copy with your mystery name and leave it where you can glance at it
      occasionally. After peering at funny names and strange writing long enough,
      your subconscious mind takes over and does its own analytical process.
      Don't try to read it, just keep glancing at it from time to time over a
      period of days.

      Practically anything yields to this method in my experience.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
        This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method of viewing these?
        John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find it quite as exciting as I would. :)

        Thanks,
        KM

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
          At 09:01 PM 6/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
          >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
          >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
          >of viewing these?
          >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
          >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
          >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
          >
          >Thanks,

          Kelly,

          There are LDS Family History Centers all over the country and in other
          parts of the world. You can request a film at your local FHC and for a fee
          of about $3 to 4$ they will order it from Salt Lake for you to view at
          their location using their microfilm readers. It's been a while but I
          believe the first rental lasts is for two weeks, the second for about 30
          days, and after the third rental, the film stays at the FHC and there is no
          additional charge. You can find the nearest FHC at this site.

          http://www.genhomepage.com/FHC/fhc.html

          Call them and talk to them about the details of renting the films. There
          are some variations between FHC in the rental and retention process.

          John M.
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
            Nothing silly about that, you don't have to go to Utah.Your local branch of
            the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) will have a Family
            History Centre give them a call and find out how to order films you want. I
            live in Australia and that advice applies here as well. My wife would love
            to go to Utah.

            Regards
            Nick

            At 09:01 PM 25/06/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
            >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
            >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
            >of viewing these?
            >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
            >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
            >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
            >
            >Thanks,
            >KM
          • Kelly D. Motichek
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
              Thank you Nick and John. This makes a lot more sense. I couldn't imagine that all of these people were flying
              to Utah. I live in New Orleans, LA and that would be quite a weekend trip. Thanks to John's link I see that there
              is a center about 15 miles from me.
              Kinda funny Nick, my wife would love to go to Australia. :)

              Thanks again,
              KM
              Nothing silly about that, you don't have to go to Utah.Your local branch of
              the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) will have a Family
              History Centre give them a call and find out how to order films you want. I
              live in Australia and that advice applies here as well. My wife would love
              to go to Utah.

              Regards
              Nick

              At 09:01 PM 25/06/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
              >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
              >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
              >of viewing these?
              >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
              >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
              >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
              >
              >Thanks,
              >KM

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Carl
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                Does anyone know if the LDS has stopped renting films that contain records shorter than 100 years old. In the past, I rented films that went well into the 1900s but recently when I tried to order a couple of films that had some recent images (1930s) at the end of the films. They told me that those films were not available. I'm wondering if the problem they had with the online films with more recent records, that had to be removed, has caused them to stop renting these films as well. Does anyone know or has anyone recently rented a film like that?
                CK
              • John
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011

                  Welcome back! People have asked about you over the years.
                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                    John,

                    It looks as if Carl tied his 2011 inquiry into a thread started in year 2000 that ran until 2003.

                    Yes, I am sure we would all be thrilled to hear from Maura!

                    For all new people, Maura Petzolt founded this Yahoo Group.

                    Ron

                    > Welcome back! People have asked about you over the years.

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                      Carl,
                      I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                      I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 11, 2011
                        Michael,
                        Yes, I suspect that they may have applied the cut off to the films like they had to with the online records as I said in my first posting.

                        I am interested in the films for the villages of Rozlozna (Rozlozsnya) and Rostar(Rester) for their Lutheran Churches. There are no on-line films for these towns. However in the FHC catalog, several films are listed and said to be available at FHC libraries. But when I tried to order the films (which you can now do online), I got a message back that these films were not available. No reason was given. That is why I was asking if anyone else has had this problem recently.
                        CK

                        > Carl,
                        > I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                        > I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 11, 2011
                          Carl,
                          I see the FHL Film # 1981423 Item 1-4 is the Rostar Evangelical records and Item 5-6 is for Rozlozna. Film # 1981424 Item 1-2 is for Rozlozna. All I can suggest is to write the FHL and try to find out why these two rolls of film are not available.

                          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                          > Carl,
                          > I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                          > I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                        • cousinjanie1004
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 14, 2011
                            WELCOME BACK, MAURA!!!
                            HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL!!