RE: [S-R] maps

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2009
      Glad you are enjoying them.

      Many of these are military maps, drawn by the governments of Poland, Allied
      Forces and Germany. Think about it, the items included are there for
      tactical purposes - terrain, significant buildings and a general sense of
      what a foot soldier is likely to encounter, or use for advantage. Terrain,
      hydrology, monuments, barricades, buildings, churches, castles, oil fields,
      and so on. Often you can even find footpaths between villages. These maps
      bear looking at closely. Accuracy was very important, and as is often the
      case, military have big budgets to do this with. These files were mostly
      classified until the 1990s. You can learn a lot about life.

      On my maps pages, there are also maps from Hungary and Ukraine and Russia
      that bear examining. They often include borderlands, because, like the
      world, things never stop at political borders.

      Also, the Polish-language site has more details.

      Hint: if you want to figure out quickly what certain pages say, use
      translate.google.com and drop the page address into it. It's not at all
      perfect, but can give you guidance on what you're looking at.

      Bill