Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] LDS Films

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
      Recognizing names will have as much (or more) to do with handwriting as
      with spelling!

      Be prepared for spelling variations, especially when the records switch
      between Latin and Hungarian. When in doubt, copy the entry--either make a
      photocopy, or try to duplicate the handwriting of the entry; sometimes
      months later you will be able to go back to that dubious entry and figure
      out the handwriting at last, and either fit it into your family tree, or
      know that you can discard it. I can't tell you how many times this has
      happened in my own digging through records.

      There are websites that give translations for Latin terms and Hungarian
      terms, and a website that gives a little lesson on reading old handwriting;
      all of which I had bookmarked but now cannot find in my bookmarks list :(
      Perhaps someone else can supply these, or perhaps Maura's webpage has
      links to them.

      Good luck!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      At 01:17 PM 10/2/00 -0000, you wrote:
      >I have ordered the LDS films for Ilava, but am wondering if I will be
      >able to use them as they are in Latin and Hungarian. Will the names:
      >Mutnansky, Suchma, Mollner still be spelled much the same way as
      >this, or will I not be able to recognize them?
      >
      >Any helpful hints for examining these records will be appreciated.
      >
      >Thank you,
      >Judy

    • Judy/Dick James
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
        I would like to thank everyone for their reassurances and helpful hints for
        viewing the LDS films. I am looking forward to my first experience with this
        method of research. Will let everyone know if I have any success.

        Judy
        > Recognizing names will have as much (or more) to do with handwriting as
        > with spelling!
        >
        > Be prepared for spelling variations, especially when the records switch
        > between Latin and Hungarian. When in doubt, copy the entry--either make a
        > photocopy, or try to duplicate the handwriting of the entry; sometimes
        > months later you will be able to go back to that dubious entry and figure
        > out the handwriting at last, and either fit it into your family tree, or
        > know that you can discard it. I can't tell you how many times this has
        > happened in my own digging through records.
        >
        > There are websites that give translations for Latin terms and Hungarian
        > terms, and a website that gives a little lesson on reading old
        handwriting;
        > all of which I had bookmarked but now cannot find in my bookmarks list :(
        > Perhaps someone else can supply these, or perhaps Maura's webpage has
        > links to them.
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...
        >

        > At 01:17 PM 10/2/00 -0000, you wrote:
        > >I have ordered the LDS films for Ilava, but am wondering if I will be
        > >able to use them as they are in Latin and Hungarian. Will the names:
        > >Mutnansky, Suchma, Mollner still be spelled much the same way as
        > >this, or will I not be able to recognize them?
        > >
        > >Any helpful hints for examining these records will be appreciated.
        > >
        > >Thank you,
        > >Judy

      • Bruce Bagin
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
          I was astounded by the excellent handwriting from 1862; the latin was easy
          to read and I had truble with the months that were written in Hungarian. I
          could recognize the names of my great grandparents with little difficulty.
          My wife, who was readng the Italian (Sicilian) microfilm had more difficulty
          because of the tight writing and the reader magnification, but nevertheless,
          she found most of her ancestors. From Millazzo. Sicily. Curro' and
          Pirelli from Palermo, Sicily

          Good luck

          Its a great experience as you think of a time in the 1800's in small
          villages.

          bb----- Original Message -----

        • ISvabek@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
            I have looked at the Church Records from Ilava and the spelling of my
            grandparents name were different at times. Some records were a little hard
            to read but I found a number of my grandparents siblings that I didn"t know
            about. It was great. Good luck

            I Svabek
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
              I wish I had time to relate a story here about a piece of detective work I
              just did with the 1910 CT census (that's right, one of the ones that are NOT
              indexed, but I found my people!). Meanwhile, I heartily agree with Julie,
              and will add this advice:
              make a copy with your mystery name and leave it where you can glance at it
              occasionally. After peering at funny names and strange writing long enough,
              your subconscious mind takes over and does its own analytical process.
              Don't try to read it, just keep glancing at it from time to time over a
              period of days.

              Practically anything yields to this method in my experience.

              > Recognizing names will have as much (or more) to do with handwriting as
              > with spelling!
              >
              > Be prepared for spelling variations, especially when the records switch
              > between Latin and Hungarian. When in doubt, copy the entry--either make a
              > photocopy, or try to duplicate the handwriting of the entry; sometimes
              > months later you will be able to go back to that dubious entry and figure
              > out the handwriting at last, and either fit it into your family tree, or
              > know that you can discard it. I can't tell you how many times this has
              > happened in my own digging through records.
              >
              > There are websites that give translations for Latin terms and Hungarian
              > terms, and a website that gives a little lesson on reading old
              handwriting;
              > all of which I had bookmarked but now cannot find in my bookmarks list :(
              > Perhaps someone else can supply these, or perhaps Maura's webpage has
              > links to them.
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > Julie Michutka
              > jmm@...
              >

              > At 01:17 PM 10/2/00 -0000, you wrote:
              > >I have ordered the LDS films for Ilava, but am wondering if I will be
              > >able to use them as they are in Latin and Hungarian. Will the names:
              > >Mutnansky, Suchma, Mollner still be spelled much the same way as
              > >this, or will I not be able to recognize them?
              > >
              > >Any helpful hints for examining these records will be appreciated.
              > >
              > >Thank you,
              > >Judy

            • Kelly D. Motichek
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method of viewing these?
                John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find it quite as exciting as I would. :)

                Thanks,
                KM

              • John M,
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                  At 09:01 PM 6/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                  >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
                  >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
                  >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
                  >of viewing these?
                  >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
                  >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
                  >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
                  >
                  >Thanks,

                  Kelly,

                  There are LDS Family History Centers all over the country and in other
                  parts of the world. You can request a film at your local FHC and for a fee
                  of about $3 to 4$ they will order it from Salt Lake for you to view at
                  their location using their microfilm readers. It's been a while but I
                  believe the first rental lasts is for two weeks, the second for about 30
                  days, and after the third rental, the film stays at the FHC and there is no
                  additional charge. You can find the nearest FHC at this site.

                  http://www.genhomepage.com/FHC/fhc.html

                  Call them and talk to them about the details of renting the films. There
                  are some variations between FHC in the rental and retention process.

                  John M.
                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                    Nothing silly about that, you don't have to go to Utah.Your local branch of
                    the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) will have a Family
                    History Centre give them a call and find out how to order films you want. I
                    live in Australia and that advice applies here as well. My wife would love
                    to go to Utah.

                    Regards
                    Nick

                    At 09:01 PM 25/06/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                    >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
                    >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
                    >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
                    >of viewing these?
                    >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
                    >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
                    >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >KM
                  • Kelly D. Motichek
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                      Thank you Nick and John. This makes a lot more sense. I couldn't imagine that all of these people were flying
                      to Utah. I live in New Orleans, LA and that would be quite a weekend trip. Thanks to John's link I see that there
                      is a center about 15 miles from me.
                      Kinda funny Nick, my wife would love to go to Australia. :)

                      Thanks again,
                      KM
                      Nothing silly about that, you don't have to go to Utah.Your local branch of
                      the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) will have a Family
                      History Centre give them a call and find out how to order films you want. I
                      live in Australia and that advice applies here as well. My wife would love
                      to go to Utah.

                      Regards
                      Nick

                      At 09:01 PM 25/06/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                      >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
                      >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
                      >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
                      >of viewing these?
                      >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
                      >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
                      >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
                      >
                      >Thanks,
                      >KM

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Carl
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                        Does anyone know if the LDS has stopped renting films that contain records shorter than 100 years old. In the past, I rented films that went well into the 1900s but recently when I tried to order a couple of films that had some recent images (1930s) at the end of the films. They told me that those films were not available. I'm wondering if the problem they had with the online films with more recent records, that had to be removed, has caused them to stop renting these films as well. Does anyone know or has anyone recently rented a film like that?
                        CK
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011

                          Welcome back! People have asked about you over the years.
                        • Ron
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                            John,

                            It looks as if Carl tied his 2011 inquiry into a thread started in year 2000 that ran until 2003.

                            Yes, I am sure we would all be thrilled to hear from Maura!

                            For all new people, Maura Petzolt founded this Yahoo Group.

                            Ron

                            > Welcome back! People have asked about you over the years.

                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                              Carl,
                              I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                              I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 11, 2011
                                Michael,
                                Yes, I suspect that they may have applied the cut off to the films like they had to with the online records as I said in my first posting.

                                I am interested in the films for the villages of Rozlozna (Rozlozsnya) and Rostar(Rester) for their Lutheran Churches. There are no on-line films for these towns. However in the FHC catalog, several films are listed and said to be available at FHC libraries. But when I tried to order the films (which you can now do online), I got a message back that these films were not available. No reason was given. That is why I was asking if anyone else has had this problem recently.
                                CK

                                > Carl,
                                > I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                                > I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                              • Michael Mojher
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 11, 2011
                                  Carl,
                                  I see the FHL Film # 1981423 Item 1-4 is the Rostar Evangelical records and Item 5-6 is for Rozlozna. Film # 1981424 Item 1-2 is for Rozlozna. All I can suggest is to write the FHL and try to find out why these two rolls of film are not available.

                                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                  > Carl,
                                  > I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                                  > I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                                • cousinjanie1004
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 14, 2011
                                    WELCOME BACK, MAURA!!!
                                    HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL!!