Re: [S-R] Help with Cyrillic Text?

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2009
      Thanks Mike for going along with my post.....

      In addition to what you said an example of some of the "mis"spellings of
      the village I have found while searching records to make it even more
      confusing....

      Paczkanyova,Patkanyocz,Peckenyf,Patskaniovo,Packanyova,Patkanjovce to
      name just a few.

      That's just Patskanovo.

      Patakos was spelled many different ways as well.

      Dennis

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
      wrote:

      > Patakos / Patskanovo illustrates how village names can change
      according to the political powers that controlled them. Patakos / Bereg
      is the name / county when this village was controlled by Hungary. In
      1946 village was in the hands of the Ukraine. So the Cyrillic spelling
      would have been the "official" one. Previously, I sent five spellings
      the village has gone by. The genealogy ramifications are if you are
      looking for someone from that village the records are going to be held
      by different authorities. Up through WWII, if you are fortunate, there
      are copies in the Slovak Archives since Hungary and Czechoslovakia
      controlled the village. After WWII when it became part of the Ukraine
      the records would be held there now. It is far more difficult to get
      Ukraine records.